Server 2000 - Reapplying Service Packs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Server 2000 - Reapplying Service Packs

Can anyone tell me how easy it is to reapply the service packs to a Windows 2000 Server?

A client has a 2000 server (of which I am not responsible for) recently fail to boot, it was restored, but when it was done, the registry information was years old, so applications no longer worked etc.. now it appears that its also set pre service packs and just lately they are getting connectivity issues and mapped drive issues to the server, this server is also their terminal server.

Thanks

Re: Server 2000 - Reapplying Service Packs

It shouldn't be an issue to re-install the latest one over the top. It won't put back in registry settings for applications though. How old was the backup?
    cheers
    Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Originally posted by AndyJG247 View Post
      It shouldn't be an issue to re-install the latest one over the top. It won't put back in registry settings for applications though. How old was the backup?
      Thanks Andy, you really dont want to know..... about 6yrs....

I have suggested to them they would be better off starting with a fresh install instead of trying to just keep using it.

I will download the latest 2000 SP

Thanks

Comment

6 years!
        I would agree with you. I would imagine the machine account is no longer valid.
        cheers
        Andy

Comment

You are correct, when they got it back up and running, it has a completely different computer name to start with and it was lucky I popped in otherwise it still would have been wrong now

So a job for next week it service packing it, hopefully will correct some of their current issues.

Comment

If you get it working it may be worth asking them to back it up more frequently
            cheers
            Andy

Comment

Working...
            X