My First Server...Some Advice Please

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My First Server...Some Advice Please

Hello, I just set up my server about a month ago. While I believe I know a lot about computers, I'm kind of lost in the way to administrator networks and a server. I first but Windows XP as my OS on this server, but then found I was limited with what I could do. Having just recently getting my hands on Windows Server 2003, I've realized that I really don't know that much about computers.

I went to book stores to find a decent starter's guide to W2K3, but found only dead ends. I then turned to the Internet and I searched for about two days and found this site. After reading some guides, I joined the forums.

I've just started my server and I know very little about this OS. I've had no past exprience with servers and my knowledge isn't very board. I've taught myself the simple things, DHCP and DNS, but I've yet to even scratch the surface. With me being only 15, I doubt I'll fully understand everything this OS is capable of for quite a while.

I have one question, do you have any advice to help me understand this OS a little bit better? Also, I need some tips on how to use VPN, setup up a domain for clients to sign into, and installing Managerd Software on network computers? Another thing, I'm having a tough time with this Active Directory, could someone please explain it in laymen's terms? Thanks in advance.
    I was born naked in to this world. At my current age I now stand taller and have a passion for computers. I know too much for my own good but, I'm not complaining.

John,

I'm sure you've heard this before, but you've asked for it: RTFM, or at least a decent beginner's book. Sybex, MS Press, New Riders, many carry titles that can help you get a grip on your knowledge. You should dig in yourself, because I don't think anyone will even begin to write a full answer for these types of questions.

So my friend your way is the way of the book and the do-it-yourself. Then, when you'll need extra tips, come back and ask more specific questions. Then I'm sure you'll get better answers.
    Cheers,

Daniel Petri
    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
    MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Ok then, could you at least but Active Directory into laymen terms for me? I've yet to find a place that explains it in stupid mans terms.
      I was born naked in to this world. At my current age I now stand taller and have a passion for computers. I know too much for my own good but, I'm not complaining.

Comment

I don't have a link for such an explanation at hand, but let's see:

http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...rectory+basics

Also, to install AD, follow some of my tips (on the main site, go to the KB and to the AD section).
        Cheers,

Daniel Petri
        Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
        MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Help has Arrived

Hi There. I see you are a new comer to the whole Setting up and Adminiserting Networks. Well dont worry i have been there, long long ago. So if you have any questions or direct queries that you want help with then do not hesitate to email me at either of the following:
          [email protected]
          [email protected]
          and i will gladly help you.

Good Luck
          Ben Ward

Comment

Working...
          X