AD 2003 login issue

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AD 2003 login issue

I have two domain controllers (let's call them DC1 & DC2) in a child domain.

DC1 has all the FSMO roles and GCC. DC2 also has a GCC as well.

Replication is working.
    Both DC controllers have DNS and are AD integrated.

When DC2 goes down the domain is still available but no one who isn't already logged in can't. I can't determine why. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks.

Re: AD 2003 login issue

Which server do the workstations use as the primary DNS?
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

It does sound like a DNS issue. Almost as if the workstations can't see the second domain controller to be able to log into it.

I would make sure that your DNS servers have each other in the Name Servers tab in the configuration properties of the Zone (both forward and reverse). Check to make sure there are no DNS errors.

On both run to check for issues.
      Code:
      dcdiag /v /fix > C:\dcdiag.log
      netdiag /v /fix > C:\netdiag.log
      After you do this run in cmd just for good measure on both DC's (not at the same time mind you)
      Code:
      ipconfig -flushdns && ipconfig -registerdns && net stop dns && net start dns && net stop netlogon && net start netlogon
      Flush and Register DNS or restart the workstations. Then take down the FSMO masterR

Check this out for some good info
      http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pro....mspx?mfr=true
      GoogleFu is strong with this one ^

Comment

Sorry so late getting back to you all. I'm going to give it a shot and report back. thanks!

Back.. got some big time errors. I'll let you look at them if you're curious. Thanks!
        Last edited by Parkham; 4th December 2008, 21:48.

Comment

Well, I'm back! I'll sum up the root of the problem nicely. What had happened was that the DC in question went down and wouldn't come back up. DCpromo to demote was done incorrectly by the tech. He didn't do a metadata cleanup and it caused FRS to take a crap on replication. So SYSVOL wouldn't share and replication would try over and over AND over. The new DC (with the same name) wouldn't be considered a DC until frs replication successfully finished.

So in summary, clean up AD before you bring the new DC back online!

Thanks for your help everyone.

Comment

Glad you got it sorted, thanks for posting back.
            Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Working...
            X