Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Server 2003 R2 X64 Insufficient resources.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Server 2003 R2 X64 Insufficient resources.

Twice in the past two weeks-ish, the server has started spitting out "insufficient system resources exist to complete the requested" when you try to connect to drives mapped to it. RDP also will not work. I click connect, it says connecting and then the RDP window opens and closes right away. Rebooting seems to be the only way to fix it. If I start shutting down network shares start working again, so resources are being freed up.

The server is our file and app server. It hosts our customer management software (sql), our billing software(providex+tcpip), all our files (with redirected My Docs) and the Symantec server for pushing out updates. It also has VMware terminal server for 2-4 users. Our network has about 15 users; 9 of them connect to the SQL server, all of them have 2-5 mapped drives and all of them use the billing software.

The server has 4gb of ram and a quad core 2ghz xeon. CPU usage is minimal, only about 2GB of page file is used and RAM usage is between 2 and 3 GB. The only think I can think of is that it's maxing out its network connections.

I started getting the following errors at about 1AM up until about 8:30 when the server stopped accepting connections. They went away after a reboot. The first two show up about every minute and the third shows up about every 5 seconds. The last one showed up every minute on the dot for the first 10 minutes and then at random the rest of the night/morning.
    Application Event ID: 1058
    First occurrence 1:08:50am

Windows cannot access the file gpt.ini for GPO CN={31B2F340-016D-11D2-945F-00C04FB984F9},CN=Policies,CN=System,DC=knutson,DC= local. The file must be present at the location <\\knutson.local\sysvol\knutson.local\Policies\{31 B2F340-016D-11D2-945F-00C04FB984F9}\gpt.ini>. (Configuration information could not be read from the domain controller, either because the machine is unavailable, or access has been denied. ). Group Policy processing aborted.
    Application Event ID: 1030
    First occurrence 1:08:50am

Windows cannot query for the list of Group Policy objects. Check the event log for possible messages previously logged by the policy engine that describes the reason for this.
    System Event ID: 333
    First Occurrence 1:20:51
    An I/O operation initiated by the Registry failed unrecoverably. The Registry could not read in, or write out, or flush, one of the files that contain the system's image of the Registry.
    System Event ID: 2020
    First Occurrence 1:12:43am
    The server was unable to allocate from the system paged pool because the pool was empty.
    The same thing happened last Friday and Wednesday the week before that.

Re: Server 2003 R2 X64 Insufficient resources.

Is this server also a domain controller?

Windows XP had a maximum of 10 TCP connections to it, but this is not the case in server editions of Windows, so I doubt that you're maxing out the network *connections*, although potentially you could be maxing out the bandwidth.
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

It's one of two.
      I really doubt it's throughput that is the issue. I don't think I've seen the network utilization ever go over 20%. Just trying to open a mapped drive gives an error, however, established connections for the Apps work just fine.

I don't know what resources its short of as RAM, VMEM, CPU, Network utilization and HDD space all look fine.

It's like an episode of House. All the tests are negative, but the damn thing is still coughing up lungs.
      Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post
      Is this server also a domain controller?

Windows XP had a maximum of 10 TCP connections to it, but this is not the case in server editions of Windows, so I doubt that you're maxing out the network *connections*, although potentially you could be maxing out the bandwidth.

Comment

try netstat, how big is the list that gets returned while things are slow?

Comment

Do you get the same error if you access the share directly, ie not through the mapped drive?

When you say "the server spits out errors" where are you seeing these errors? On the server screen or the workstation?
          Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post
            Do you get the same error if you access the share directly, ie not through the mapped drive?

When you say "the server spits out errors" where are you seeing these errors? On the server screen or the workstation?
            You mean typing in \\server\share? I got an error if I typed in just \\server. I can't remember exactly what it was, but it was something to the effect of not enough resources.
            The errors appear on the work station you're trying to connect with. The error logs are from the server.

Originally posted by Garen View Post
            I hope I remember that next week when this happens again.

Comment

It's happening again. The mapped drives still work, but now we can't copy a file over ~50MB.
              Trying to copy anything larger than a few megs results in an error popup saying: Cannot copy File.exe: Not enough server storage is available to process this command.

I got the first System Even ID 2020 Error today at 9:45:49 and then a second at 10:35:49, nothing since.

Originally posted by Garen View Post
              Code:
              Active Connections

Proto  Local Address          Foreign Address        State
                TCP    server:epmap           server.DOMAIN.local:3440  ESTABLISHED
                TCP    server:ldap            server.DOMAIN.local:1042  ESTABLISHED
                TCP    server:ldap            server.DOMAIN.local:1043  ESTABLISHED
                TCP    server:ldap            server.DOMAIN.local:1044  ESTABLISHED
                TCP    server:ldap            server.DOMAIN.local:1872  ESTABLISHED
                TCP    server:1026            server.DOMAIN.local:3441  ESTABLISHED
                TCP    server:1042            server.DOMAIN.local:ldap  ESTABLISHED
                TCP    server:1043            server.DOMAIN.local:ldap  ESTABLISHED
                TCP    server:1044            server.DOMAIN.local:ldap  ESTABLISHED
                TCP    server:1872            server.DOMAIN.local:ldap  ESTABLISHED
                TCP    server:3436            server.DOMAIN.local:microsoft-ds  TIME_WAIT
                TCP    server:3438            server.DOMAIN.local:microsoft-ds  TIME_WAIT
                TCP    server:3440            server.DOMAIN.local:epmap  ESTABLISHED
                TCP    server:3441            server.DOMAIN.local:1026  ESTABLISHED
                TCP    server:3450            server.DOMAIN.local:microsoft-ds  TIME_WAIT
                TCP    server:3457            server.DOMAIN.local:microsoft-ds  TIME_WAIT
                TCP    server:epmap           tammy.DOMAIN.local:2353  ESTABLISHED
                TCP    server:netbios-ssn     ELAINE-PAQUIN:1084     ESTABLISHED
                TCP    server:netbios-ssn     tracy.DOMAIN.local:1390  ESTABLISHED
                TCP    server:netbios-ssn     john-.DOMAIN.local:1051  ESTABLISHED
                TCP    server:netbios-ssn     pam-.DOMAIN.local:1236  ESTABLISHED
                TCP    server:netbios-ssn     jeff2.DOMAIN.local:2203  ESTABLISHED
                TCP    server:ldap            server.DOMAIN.local:1880  ESTABLISHED
                TCP    server:ldap            server.DOMAIN.local:3434  TIME_WAIT
                TCP    server:ldap            server.DOMAIN.local:3435  TIME_WAIT
                TCP    server:ldap            server.DOMAIN.local:3442  TIME_WAIT
                TCP    server:ldap            server.DOMAIN.local:3443  TIME_WAIT
                TCP    server:ldap            server.DOMAIN.local:3444  TIME_WAIT
                TCP    server:ldap            server.DOMAIN.local:3445  TIME_WAIT
                TCP    server:ldap            server.DOMAIN.local:3446  TIME_WAIT
                TCP    server:ldap            server.DOMAIN.local:3447  TIME_WAIT
                TCP    server:ldap            server.DOMAIN.local:3448  TIME_WAIT
                TCP    server:ldap            server.DOMAIN.local:3449  TIME_WAIT
                TCP    server:ldap            server.DOMAIN.local:3453  TIME_WAIT
                TCP    server:ldap            server.DOMAIN.local:3454  TIME_WAIT
                TCP    server:ldap            server.DOMAIN.local:3455  TIME_WAIT
                TCP    server:ldap            server.DOMAIN.local:3456  TIME_WAIT
                TCP    server:ldap            192.168.10.32:52048    TIME_WAIT
                TCP    server:ldap            192.168.10.32:52050    TIME_WAIT
                TCP    server:microsoft-ds    saturn.DOMAIN.local:2473  ESTABLISHED
                TCP    server:microsoft-ds    saturn.DOMAIN.local:4071  ESTABLISHED
                TCP    server:microsoft-ds    tammy.DOMAIN.local:2337  ESTABLISHED
                TCP    server:microsoft-ds    192.168.10.32:50625    ESTABLISHED
                TCP    server:microsoft-ds    linda-.DOMAIN.local:1338  ESTABLISHED
                TCP    server:microsoft-ds    sue-mayer.DOMAIN.local:1170  ESTABLISHED
                TCP    server:microsoft-ds    csg-pc1.DOMAIN.local:4794  ESTABLISHED
                TCP    server:microsoft-ds    steve-mallory.DOMAIN.local:2684  ESTABLISHED
                TCP    server:microsoft-ds    jessica-stewart.DOMAIN.local:4265  ESTABLISHE
                TCP    server:microsoft-ds    techpc.DOMAIN.local:1521  ESTABLISHED
                TCP    server:1026            server.DOMAIN.local:3855  ESTABLISHED
                TCP    server:1026            mercury.DOMAIN.local:59098  ESTABLISHED
                TCP    server:1026            tammy.DOMAIN.local:2354  ESTABLISHED
                TCP    server:1089            server.DOMAIN.local:ldap  CLOSE_WAIT
                TCP    server:ms-sql-s        mercury.DOMAIN.local:26617  ESTABLISHED
                TCP    server:1880            server.DOMAIN.local:ldap  ESTABLISHED
                TCP    server:2806            server.DOMAIN.local:ldap  CLOSE_WAIT
                TCP    server:2942            saturn.DOMAIN.local:1360  ESTABLISHED
                TCP    server:2942            linda-.DOMAIN.local:4732  ESTABLISHED
                TCP    server:2942            jeff2.DOMAIN.local:2794  ESTABLISHED
                TCP    server:2942            jeff2.DOMAIN.local:2855  ESTABLISHED
                TCP    server:2942            jeff2.DOMAIN.local:2856  ESTABLISHED
                TCP    server:2942            techpc.DOMAIN.local:1969  ESTABLISHED
                TCP    server:3095            mercury.DOMAIN.local:1025  ESTABLISHED
                TCP    server:3096            pam-.DOMAIN.local:epmap  TIME_WAIT
                TCP    server:3348            tracy.DOMAIN.local:netbios-ssn  ESTABL
              HED
                TCP    server:ms-wbt-server   techpc.DOMAIN.local:1419  ESTABLISHED
                TCP    server:3452            192.168.10.2:9101      ESTABLISHED
                TCP    server:3459            tammy.DOMAIN.local:microsoft-ds  ESTABLISHED
                TCP    server:3855            server.DOMAIN.local:1026  ESTABLISHED
                TCP    server:3906            server.DOMAIN.local:ldap  CLOSE_WAIT
                TCP    server:10183           techpc.DOMAIN.local:1062  ESTABLISHED
                TCP    server:10185           techpc.DOMAIN.local:1089  ESTABLISHED
                TCP    server:10294           john-.DOMAIN.local:1145  ESTABLISHED
                TCP    server:10296           john-.DOMAIN.local:1149  ESTABLISHED
                TCP    server:10302           tracy.DOMAIN.local:1401  ESTABLISHED
                TCP    server:10303           tracy.DOMAIN.local:1412  ESTABLISHED
                TCP    server:10308           saturn.DOMAIN.local:2247  ESTABLISHED
                TCP    server:10309           saturn.DOMAIN.local:2249  ESTABLISHED
                TCP    server:10310           saturn.DOMAIN.local:2251  ESTABLISHED
                TCP    server:10312           saturn.DOMAIN.local:2256  ESTABLISHED
                TCP    server:10314           tammy.DOMAIN.local:1144  ESTABLISHED
                TCP    server:10316           tammy.DOMAIN.local:1148  ESTABLISHED
                TCP    server:10320           linda-.DOMAIN.local:4639  ESTABLISHED
                TCP    server:10321           linda-.DOMAIN.local:4641  ESTABLISHED
                TCP    server:10322           linda-.DOMAIN.local:4643  ESTABLISHED
                TCP    server:10331           tammy.DOMAIN.local:1771  ESTABLISHED
                TCP    server:10338           tracy.DOMAIN.local:2329  ESTABLISHED
              I'm increasing the Paged Pool as direct here: http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;EN-US;304101
              Last edited by Kayden; 19th November 2008, 19:14.

Comment

Working...
              X