Win Server 2003 Domain - Computer Browser Problem

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Win Server 2003 Domain - Computer Browser Problem

We are having a nightmare of an issue and cannot get this figured out. Please, if you have any insight I would greatly appreciate any help!

Our network is set up as follows:
    • Corporate headquarters
      • PDC multihomed (Win Server 2003 Std. - not R2)
        • Runs DNS for all offices, DHCP for this location only, Exchange 2003, WINS, and all the other goodies a PDC needs to do
      • 17 servers (Win Server 2000, 2003, and 2003 R2)
      • 80 workstations (all Win XP SP2 or SP3)
    • Satellite office #1
      • DC (Win Server 2003) multihomed w/ DHCP & Exchange 2003
      • 24 workstations (Win XP SP2 or SP3)
    • Satellite office #2
      • DC (Win Server 2003) multihomed w/ DHCP & Exchange 2003
      • 6 workstations (Win XP SP2 or SP3)
    • Satellite office #3
      • DC (Win Server 2003) w/ DHCP (not multihomed)
      • 3 workstations (Win XP SP2 or SP3)
    We have all our network set up on an MPLS solution but this issue also existed even with each office running on a normal internet T1 connected via hardware (NetScreen).

The issue:

Previously we were able to use Windows Explorer to drill down into My Network Places / Microsoft Windows Network / LSDAZ (our domain) and I would see a list of all our PCs, servers, etc. Now, we only see the systems located in our headquarters and do not see any of the satellite office computers. We do however see the DC in office #1 and the DC and all PCs in office #3 show up too.

One day we realized that we had a NIC issue in our DC at satellite office #2. I drove down there and added a NIC and left the old one in there, but it remained unplugged from the network at first. Everything seemed fine, but then we started getting messages on that machine saying there was a duplicate name on the network (which is not true).

This issue didn't really matter until we set up a MFP in our satellite office #2 and we would like to employ Scan to Folder. When I attempt to connect it to a shared folder on our DC in that office, it says it's unreachable (does not explain anything else).

I then ended up plugging the old NIC back in and viola!!! Everything started working just fine again! Although, it did still give us the name conflict error. However, now that we have cut over to our MPLS solution, we have installed DHCP on our DCs and with or without the "bad" NIC installed, we don't get any positive results.

I have spent many hours on this issue and have googled my buns off and have tried VERY MANY of the solutions to similar-sounding issues I could find.

I have run DCDIAG on both the PDC and #2 DC, which passed on both. When I run NETDIAG, I get a failure when it runs the NetBT name test. The errors found are as follows:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NIC #1:

NetBT name test. . . . . . : Failed
    \Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{39ACD800-88548475A-8E3C-F6BEA737BA8E}
    [FATAL] At least one of your NetBT names is not registered properly. You have a potential name conflict.
    [WARNING] At least one of the <00> 'Workstation Service', <03> 'Messenger Service', <20> 'WINS' names is missing.

NIC #2:

No names have been found.

NIC #3:

No names have been found.

-- Then more down the list:

NetBT name test. . . . . . . : Failed
    [WARNING] You don't have a single interface with the <00> 'Workstation Service', <03> 'Messenger Service', <20> 'WINS' names defined.

DC list test . . . . . . . . : Failed
    Failed to enumerate DCs by using the browser.
    [ERROR_NO_BROWSER_SERVERS_FOUND]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please help me! I'm going insane trying to get this stuff to work. My boss was the original creator of this domain and all the DCs, and he knows what he is doing but I realize people can make mistakes. The strangest part is that it all USED to work, but now it doesn't.

If you need more information, I'll post everything I can. I have more stuff, but I don't know what would be more useful than to start with the basics.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH if you have at least read this... I know it's a lot.
    Last edited by KnotBeer; 13th November 2008, 16:58. Reason: Forgot to mention something.

Re: Win Server 2003 Domain - Computer Browser Problem

Hi,
    To me it looks this is a WINS issue, Check for any WINS related events on the server, How are you resolving NetBIOS queries on the remote sites? Any WINS or Proxy WINS? Can you post an Ipconfig /all of any of the remote clients?

Ta
    Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

L4ndy,

Actually I just got this fixed about 20 minutes ago. My issue was that for some reason when I installed a new NIC, it messed with the default setup of the DC and fails to disable NetBIOS over TCP/IP for the new NIC and instead tried to re-register with WINS and it looked like a completely different computer.

After determining which IP was registering successfully with WINS, all I had to do was go to Network Connections on the DC and disable NetBIOS over TCP/IP for each adapter EXCEPT the one that was talking to WINS.

I had tried this earlier, but I wasn't seeing results fast enough, so I figured that wasn't the fix - but I was wrong. I read that the NetBT (NetBIOS) broadcasts every 12 minutes by default, so after waiting a bit, everything started working JUST GREAT!!! I am so happy now!

The most valuable reference I found regarding this issue was at the following address: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../bb727013.aspx

Thank you for the reply, and I really hope this can help someone else in the future.

Matt
      Last edited by KnotBeer; 13th November 2008, 19:50. Reason: Added a link for reference.

Comment

Thread moved to Windows Server forum.
        Regards,
        Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
        Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
        www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Originally posted by KnotBeer View Post
          L4ndy,

Actually I just got this fixed about 20 minutes ago. My issue was that for some reason when I installed a new NIC, it messed with the default setup of the DC and fails to disable NetBIOS over TCP/IP for the new NIC and instead tried to re-register with WINS and it looked like a completely different computer.

After determining which IP was registering successfully with WINS, all I had to do was go to Network Connections on the DC and disable NetBIOS over TCP/IP for each adapter EXCEPT the one that was talking to WINS.

I had tried this earlier, but I wasn't seeing results fast enough, so I figured that wasn't the fix - but I was wrong. I read that the NetBT (NetBIOS) broadcasts every 12 minutes by default, so after waiting a bit, everything started working JUST GREAT!!! I am so happy now!

The most valuable reference I found regarding this issue was at the following address: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../bb727013.aspx

Thank you for the reply, and I really hope this can help someone else in the future.

Matt
          Hi Matt,

I am glad you sorted it but somehow it only looks like a partial solution to me.
          You need to think about deploying a WINS in the remote site and set it as Push/Pull partner with your other one depending on your needs.
          That way you will resolve any NetBIOS resolution issues more effectively and reduce Broadcast traffic.
          Although NetBIOS is a protocol nearing its end, it is still used quite a lot in different applications including native Windows ones.
          Depending on the size of your sites you are trading Broadcast traffic for replication one but at least you can control the later.
          You need to look at a more effective solution because if the same thing happens again you are going to have the same problem, not to mention the Admin overheads.

Cheers
          Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Working...
          X