No announcement yet.

Moving Shared Folders From OlD DC to New DC

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving Shared Folders From OlD DC to New DC

HI Guys,

I have a problem with profile and user folder migration or moving hope someone can answer.
    I have a windows 2003 domain running with 3 DCs. One has all the PDC emulator stuff like FSMO roles, DNS etc. So i had to replace the that main dc wiht a new server.
    SO my first step was to add the new server to the Domain as a DC. I got thru that and i also made the new server DNS till that point everything is fine.
    Next step was to move file shares. I have three shares (Profiles, Users, Shared). My plan was to first back the three shares using NTBACKUP to the new server and then restored them there. So next step was to change the server name in everybody profile as i had roaming profiles for everyone. So i used Active Directory Feature to do that. Just select all the users right click properties change the profile stuff like roaming profiles and also the mapped user drive to the new server. And i use a login script to map the third share.
    Everything is woring fine but when users login they still get a reminder balloon of saying that they are disconnected to the old server and is currently offline. I am not sure what else i missed or if my procedure was wrong. When i click on the balloon and try to see what files it want to synchronize i dont see anything.

I am not sure what exactly is the problem if anybody went thru this or have any idea to help me solve this issue that will be great.
    Although everything is working fine i still want get rid of the reminder balloon.

thanks a lot,