Printer Share Disapears

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Printer Share Disapears

I have a problem on my enterprise environment running windows 2003,2000 and XP clients. My experience in Windows servers is fairly novice although I know a fair amount to get by and to add to that I inherited this system which has the following problem >

There is a particular printer on the print server which is disappearing everyday from the print share. I re-share it and comes back on and for the rest of the day its up and running. On some days it disappears again and I put it back online. I am beginning to get annoyed with this problem and have not got any resolution.

I have one server with DHCP role for all desktops except printers and another server running the print server using static i.p. addresses.

What I did was put this porblem printer on DHCP but it keeps the static ip address on the port tab in printer properties and has the DHCP assigned address in the printer name box,so its like I have two ip addresses for the one printer. I know that the static ip address has been removed since I added it to the addresses pool of excluded addresses for leasing. When I try to delete that port it gives me the error “The selected port can not be deleted.This request is not supported.”

Can someone out there assist please I am tired of re-sharing this printer.
    There is nothing so useless as doing efficiently that which should not be done at all.

Re: Printer Share Disapears

hi, try giving the printer a static ip, and addding it to the exculsion/reservation in dhcp, get the latest printer drivers from the manufacturers site,
    on the server add the printer through tcp/ip address, on port name choose someting like IP2_192.168. you could give the printer a similar name like workshop2, point clients to the new printer, remove the old printer and printer port from the print server when ur happy with the new one.
    Please remember to award reputation points if you have received good advice.
    I do tend to think 'outside the box' so others may not always share the same views.

MCITP -W7,
    MCSA+Messaging, CCENT, ICND2 slowly getting around to.

Comment

Flagged for moving to appropriate forum.

Is the print server running 2000 or 2003? What service pack? Is the printer driver up to date? Any problems in the event logs?
      Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

First of all, your printer disappearing and your DHCP problems are two different issues. The printer is a logical construct and does not need the physical device to be connected, turned on, etc. If the printer is disappearing then it is due to something other than DHCP. Try removing the printer and driver and reinstall with the latest driver. Also check to see if you're publishing the printer to AD and if so, is there a pruning policy in place? As for the DHCP, don't assign DHCP addresses to devices that should have static addresses like printers, switches, servers, etc. It's just as easy and more reliable to assign the printer a static ip address than to reserve an ip address for it in DHCP.

Comment

Originally posted by uk_network View Post
          hi, try giving the printer a static ip, and addding it to the exculsion/reservation in dhcp, get the latest printer drivers from the manufacturers site,
          on the server add the printer through tcp/ip address, on port name choose someting like IP2_192.168. you could give the printer a similar name like workshop2, point clients to the new printer, remove the old printer and printer port from the print server when ur happy with the new one.
          *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~*~*

I am keen to try this but as I mentioned I inherited this system and also novice on the platform I am working on so I need some explicit instructions to leave nothing for granted would be very helpful. The printer is in a live environment where users rely heavily on it for day to day usage So I cant take chances. In other words is this problem something you have personally experienced ?

Is it a good idea to telnet into the printer from command prompt and make these changes :
          1. disable dhcp and assign a static ip address but leaving the printer name as is ,I am doing this as a recomendation from joeqwerty.
          2. What are the impact to the users on these changes ?
          3. I cant see the windows 2000 server drivers on the hp sight can someone help on a link to that ?
          Last edited by tmel173; 13th November 2008, 18:32.
          There is nothing so useless as doing efficiently that which should not be done at all.

Comment

Users shouldn't see a difference, as they're all using the shared printer driver on the server. When that's changed to correctly reference the static IP of the printer, they won't notice it, as their print jobs just go to that shared printer driver.

As for the W2K printer driver, what's the exact make/model of the printer?
            ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Its an hp laserjet 8100

Comment

First off assign it an IP address (obviously unused; the proper subnet, gateway and dns addresses, if you need to add the printers supplied name manually to DNS, make sure there isn't an IP address in there for something else) and make sure that it's in a reserved section of your IP range or create a reservation for just that IP.

I would attach the printer to a couple workstations as an IP printer to see if it dies after a day or two. If it doesn't then it's possible the print server has an issue.

I've seen issues where a printer is given an assigned IP address that conflicts with some switch or other printer on the network and create this issue. The printer prints but then eventually times out. When it goes to sleep you can't get to it anymore because the other IP had taken precedence.
                GoogleFu is strong with this one ^

Comment

I changed the ip to static but I can not telnet into the printer for some reason even though I can ping it. I can change the port number in windows printer properties. Can some one tell me what s going on here?

Comment

Telnet uses port 23 by default. Does the printers firmware allow you to connect to that port? or are you testing the listening ports with telnet?
                    Can you be a bit more specific about what you are trying to do?

Ta
                    Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

I am trying to get a printer to stop disappearing from the network share everyday as I wrote in the initial thread.

I came accross the telnet problem after I took off the DHCP and used static ip as advised by on person in this thread. I was able to telnet into the printer using telnet before but now I can not.

Do you know how to activate the telnet so I can connect to the printer and remove that static ip address.It seems to be a bad address. The static ip is showing on the rpinter configuration menu print out and I can change it . I hope this is clear..

Comment

You can usually connect to the printer over HTTP to access the admin interface that way. At least, I've never seen a networked printer that offered Telnet but not HTTP.
                        Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

So I managed to get the printer back online - there was an ip duplication .but now back to my original printer share problem disapearing in the morning so I will see if it continues to disappear in the morning.

Comment

Aha! So I was right, well, so far.

Let us know what happens.
                            GoogleFu is strong with this one ^

Comment

Working...
                            X