X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how to have similar domain and local User Profile

Hi Dudes

I have installed a Domain controller in windows 2k3

Users have many shortcuts on Desktop (when they login locally) and they use them frequently.

As the users join to the Domain and login in domain environment...they have the clean desktop with now previous shortcuts .(i thinks that's because of default user profile which DC provides).

plz help me how i users login in domain with the shortcut icons they have in
    previous condition (when the login locally on their workstations).

All the users have winodows xp pro.

TNX A LOT .

Re: how to have similar domain and local User Profile

Your post is not especially clear, but I understand your problem to be as follows:

If Dave logs on to machine A and creates a file on his desktop, it will be there whenever he logs onto machine A. If he logs onto machine B, it isn't there.

You probably need to setup roaming user profiles - it sounds like you only have local profiles at the moment.
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Sounds like they HAD local profiles, but then they organized all of the computers into a domain. Now they'd like all of the shortcuts that were on their local profile's desktop on their domain profile's desktop.
      ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Possibly, but if you don't define a user's profile path in ADUC, then they will have a local profile even in a domain.
        Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

You could log in to their machine as an administrator and manually copy the data from the desktop directory in the local profile to the desktop directory of the domain profile.
          Look in C:\Documents and Settings\user\desktop
          You could even do it over the network by going in via \\computename\c$
          Please remember to award reputation points if you have received good advice.
          I do tend to think 'outside the box' so others may not always share the same views.

MCITP -W7,
          MCSA+Messaging, CCENT, ICND2 slowly getting around to.

Comment

I think my Question was posted before by another one .

but thank u UK_NETWORK your reply was so cooool.

see this link http://forums.petri.com/showthread.php?t=21067
            Last edited by hamed89156; 10th November 2008, 19:24.

Comment

Working...
            X