Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems with Netbios after rejoining new clients to the domain

hi, i have a question here;

i have successfully added some pc's into a LAN domain (win server2003). after some time one or two pc's were diconnected form the domain and new ones added again. the problem is, i have renamed the new pc's giving them different netbios name but once connected to the local network, the new netbios name on the new pc seem to pick up the IP address of the old pc's IP address which is no longer on the small network. this gives, ocassionally, problems with a user user assigned to that pc to logon.

please help.

thank you.

Re: pauilnga

Post reported for moving.

Please read the forum rules in future.

Comment

Re: pauilnga

I will deal with it this morning.
      First I've to go to my company.
      Marcel
      Technical Consultant
      Netherlands
      http://www.phetios.com
      http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
      "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
      "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Re: Problems with Netbios after rejoining new clients to the domain

If you have a domain controller, open DNS goto your zone and make sure that the A records are correct.
        Andrew

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Re: Problems with Netbios after rejoining new clients to the domain

IP addresses are assigned based on the computer's network card MAC address, not based on hostname. Two computers shouldn't be assigned the same IP address by a DHCP server even if they have the same hostname because the MAC addresses will be different. If you're saying that the DHCP server is trying to assign an IP addresses to two machines, then there may be a problem with your DHCP configuration.
          Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Working...
          X