Monitoring / Measuring IO wait on a windows server

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Monitoring / Measuring IO wait on a windows server

Is there any good way to watch for IO wait on a windows server? I've been searching all over the place, but the only hits I get are for Linux machines. I'm troubleshooting a stalling problem right now and I believe it has to do with either file or network IO. It might even be SMB/CIFS related. Any ideas?

Re: Monitoring / Measuring IO wait on a windows server

Any more info on the background?
    cheers
    Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

This will help you.

http://www.computerperformance.co.uk...Bottleneck%202
      Please remember to award reputation points if you have received good advice.
      I do tend to think 'outside the box' so others may not always share the same views.

MCITP -W7,
      MCSA+Messaging, CCENT, ICND2 slowly getting around to.

Comment

Thanks uk_network. That should be quite helpful.

As for background, they're Citrix servers running Presentation Server 4.0 on top of Server 2003. We find most of the slowdown in Outlook, but people have been complaining about other apps since we moved up to Office 2007. CPU and Memory usage have looked pretty good, and the momentary stalls really feel like IO (disk or network) to me. Sometimes they're up to 30 seconds or so of things just hanging, then everything's back to normal. Stalls can occur at any time. Usually we get reports of things hanging when typing, then the letters catching up after the stall is over.

Comment

You could try running process explorer on a machine and see what's happening when it freezes.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/s.../bb896653.aspx

Should help narrow it down.
          Please remember to award reputation points if you have received good advice.
          I do tend to think 'outside the box' so others may not always share the same views.

MCITP -W7,
          MCSA+Messaging, CCENT, ICND2 slowly getting around to.

Comment

We've tried that, but it's pretty difficult since the hangs / stalls are so intermittent and they last for a very short time. I've been watching a graph of Avg. Disk Read and Avg. Disk Write queues. Every once in a while, the write queue spikes up pretty high (up over 15). Otherwise, it's fine. I hate to speculate without more data, but I'm thinking it's related. I'm trying process monitor again watching the spikes to see what's causing them... Between Delta Writes and Delta Write Bytes, which is better to look at for effective hits to the disk?

edit: also, does the logical disk object count any network filing (smb or NFS) in its total?
            Last edited by spectre240sx; 6th November 2008, 01:01.

Comment

Update: I just found a really interesting article that could, very well, explain the problem we're having.

http://www.loginconsultants.com/inde...121&Itemid=107

I'm not certain, but I'm going to look into it a bit further.

Edit:
              Also worth a look
              http://www.brianmadden.com/forums/t/13967.aspx
              Last edited by spectre240sx; 6th November 2008, 21:45.

Comment

I would certainly be interested how you get on with that.

We have similar issues but it appears the problem partially is with some users who still have PST files located on the same server that these remote users access as a file share through the session (strangled route I know). Outlook - PST is quite heavy and MS believe this is the cause. (we really want to get rid of them completely but the vault is still a couple of months off).
                cheers
                Andy

Comment

I'm trying the "Lanmanworkstation Tuning" administrative template at the Thincomputing.net download section. I'll let you know how it goes.

Comment

It would appear that the administrative template did not solve our problem. We're currently redirecting the %userprofile%\Application Data folder to the user's home drive. I believe this may be part of the problem, but it's being done because we had trouble with some parts roaming profiles not roaming properly.

We're going to try removing the proquota program from people's sessions and I'm going to continue monitoring and see if I can find any other way to reduce bottlenecks.

Comment

The updates are appreciated. I have my fingers crossed!
                      cheers
                      Andy

Comment

Working...
                      X