Can't log on to Domain after attaching XP to it

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't log on to Domain after attaching XP to it

nabatika (Please disregard this made up word, I'm using it for search purposes)

The problem that I am having is not being able to log on to my domain after attaching to it. The computer that I am trying to attach to the domain can ping and share files from and to the server. After I change the computer name I'm able to attach to the domain but when I reboot the computer says that it can't find the domain. After attaching to the DC my computer shows up in the list of computers but I'm unable to manage it. At time the DC will disable the computer. I use both administrator accounts (local and Domain Admin) when trying to attach). The computer is acting like it does not see the network at the log on prompt for windows XP. What else can I try? By the way what is a tag?

Re: Can't log on to Domain after attaching XP to it nabatika

more information, I can tell that my computer can see the domain because when I use a bogus password it displays the message that the username or password is incorrect but when I use the correct one it says that the domain can not be found

Comment

You don't need the made up word.
      You can subscribe to all kind of threads, you can use the search funtionality and there are numbers of ways to find your own posts.
      Marcel
      Technical Consultant
      Netherlands
      http://www.phetios.com
      http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
      "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
      "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

To second Dumber: there's no need for made up words, especially in the thread title - the title of this thread is misleading as a result. Some people may well view it as spam.

In any case...

What operating system does the domain controller run?

What edition of XP are you using (Pro or Pro x64)?

What method are you using to add the computer to the domain?

Are there any errors in the event logs on the DC or the workstation?
        Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

When you changed the computer name did you re-join it back to the domain???

Comment

Originally posted by Richw007 View Post
            what is a tag?
            It is a keyword you can attach to your post... One of its advantages is that you can later search by it ... So, as Dumber said, no need to invent new words. Use the tags!

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
            -

Comment

Re: Can't log on to Domain after attaching XP to it

Originally posted by Richw007 View Post
              nabatika (Please disregard this made up word, I'm using it for search purposes)

The problem that I am having is not being able to log on to my domain after attaching to it. The computer that I am trying to attach to the domain can ping and share files from and to the server. After I change the computer name I'm able to attach to the domain but when I reboot the computer says that it can't find the domain. After attaching to the DC my computer shows up in the list of computers but I'm unable to manage it. At time the DC will disable the computer. I use both administrator accounts (local and Domain Admin) when trying to attach). The computer is acting like it does not see the network at the log on prompt for windows XP. What else can I try? By the way what is a tag?

You can try these steps in this order,
              • Unjoin the machine from the domain (Add to a workgroup) and restart machine.
              • Find the computer object in AD (ADUC) and make sure is not disabled (No red Cross)
              • If so, enable.
              • If not disabled, reset its password (R click - Reset account)
              • Go back to your machine and Join back to the domain.

Ta
              Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

I agree, although i'd delete the computer account from aduc, then re add the machine to the domain.
                have u tried giving this workstation static ip and dns?
                Please remember to award reputation points if you have received good advice.
                I do tend to think 'outside the box' so others may not always share the same views.

MCITP -W7,
                MCSA+Messaging, CCENT, ICND2 slowly getting around to.

Comment

Originally posted by uk_network View Post
                  'Static' IP is better off assigned using a DHCP reservation.
                  Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Originally posted by uk_network View Post
                    I agree, although i'd delete the computer account from aduc, then re add the machine to the domain.
                    I don't think IP configuration or DNS is an issue in here, since he is saying that he was able to join to the domain initially. I think is more to do with the secure channel comunication between the Machine and AD.
                    With that in mind just resseting the Computer account and re-join the machine to the domain will tell us if it is.
                    Deleting the account from AD and getting the user to create a new object might not necessarily indicate what the problem is if the corrent object resides in the Computers containers and presuming the Security settings for the object have not been changed.
                    Also worth checking for Dublicate accounts..which would come up if steps I mentioned before are to be followed.

Cheers
                    Caesar's cipher - 3

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

I've had a similar problem before with domain can not be found and it was because of a dodgey dhcp server, so i suggested static ip just for troubleshooting.
                      Last edited by uk_network; 5th November 2008, 13:49.
                      Please remember to award reputation points if you have received good advice.
                      I do tend to think 'outside the box' so others may not always share the same views.

MCITP -W7,
                      MCSA+Messaging, CCENT, ICND2 slowly getting around to.

Comment

It could well be a possibility....
                        Caesar's cipher - 3

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

due to a lack of information in the post I think this problem will be difficult
                          to solve. I am going to assume that this is some sort of
                          test system.

Firstly I wouldnt disregard DNS issues as we dont know
                          how the server has been setup.

Secondly I agree with previous posts about using a static
                          ip address intially. No point worrying about dhcp until you
                          can successfully connect to the domain.

Thirdly, back to DNS, it is possible to join a domain without
                          DNS working correctly. However incorrect DNS setup will
                          have login symptoms. Furthermore incorrect network settings
                          may also be part of it.

If the poster could give more infomation on his setup
                          then more specific help might be given. Otherwise
                          this thread could end up 10 pages long.

Cheers, jewen.

Comment

Working...
                          X