Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Domain is 2000 Native can I raise it 1 level to 2003 or even 2008?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Domain is 2000 Native can I raise it 1 level to 2003 or even 2008?

MY domain is Windows 2000 Native... All the DCs have been Windows 2003 for a long time.

Can I raise the functional level one evening to Windows 2003 Native or mayeb even WIndows 2008?

I am usually very careful and we have a medium/large environment with 30 Citrix servers/SQL/Exchange/etc..

Anything I have to do or be aware of before raising the functional level?

What are the exact steps for upgrade (just right click - upgrade)?
    I do plan to take offline 2 of three DCs in case of recovery and the DC that will get the upgrade will be offline (ethernet off) during the upgrade.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Re: Domain Functional Levels

I don't recommend making changes to the schema while domain controllers are offline.

Also, I would have thought you would need Server 2008 DCs to raise the functional level to Windows 2008.
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post
      Also, I would have thought you would need Server 2008 DCs to raise the functional level to Windows 2008.
      Correction - to raise it to Windows Server 2008 you absolutely must have ALL your DCs at Windows Server 2008. I don't know what the new "Intermediate" Functional Levels are with the new OS, but for them you need to have at least one WS2k8 DC.

With all your DCs at Windows Server 2003, you are not getting anything like the best features of a W2k3 domain until you have your Domain and Forest at Windows Server 2003 functional level. You should raise the level as soon as you can... it is non-destructive and requires only a few clicks; look at the Microsoft Article here for a thorough set of instructions and pre-action checks.

Tom
      For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Originally posted by Stonelaughter View Post
        Correction - to raise it to Windows Server 2008 you absolutely must have ALL your DCs at Windows Server 2008. I don't know what the new "Intermediate" Functional Levels are with the new OS, but for them you need to have at least one WS2k8 DC.
        Thank you for clarifying
        Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Then the proper way is to leave all 3 DCs online and raise the functional level on one of them and let it replicate to others?
          Any gotchas for the rest of the servers/environment/citrix/Vmware?
          maybe introduce win2008 DC in win2000 native mode like all other DCs, then raise the functional level on that win2008 DC to win2003?

Thanks

Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post
          I don't recommend making changes to the schema while domain controllers are offline.

Last edited by arthurvino; 4th November 2008, 03:23.

Comment

Working...
          X