FSMO role transfer big problem

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FSMO role transfer big problem

Hi,I tried moving the server roles to a different server. For some reason it wouldn't work. When I tried using the GUI I kept getting an error that the one fsmo role holder couldn't be contacted which is kinda wierd because I was logged into the server via RDP. I tried using ntdlsutil and now I've gotten to a point where each DC is itself as the role holder (there are only to dcs). On the first it's pointing to itself and the second as well. What should I do?

Re: FSMO role transfer big problem

What operating system is each DC running? What service pack? What exact steps have you taken so far? Are there any errors in the event logs? Can you ping the DCs from each other and from workstations by hostname and by IP?
    Last edited by gforceindustries; 3rd November 2008, 13:39.
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

You have 5 FSMO roles, 3 domain wide and two forest wide.
      You only have two dc's so i'm guessing you have a single Forest/Domain set-up.
      Now we need to which role is running where. Only one server can be holder of this role at any present time.

Are there other domain controllers in the organisation that have been brought down for any reason?

Reading your post, i suspect there was a third DC, that is the holder of these roles. Or you have a Network/DNS problemin which the DC's cannot communicate among each other.
      [Powershell]
      Start-DayDream
      Set-Location Malibu Beach
      Get-Drink
      Lay-Back
      Start-Sleep
      Wake-Up!
      Resume-Service
      Write-Warning
      [/Powershell]

BLOG: Therealshrimp.blogspot.com

Comment

Ok so the first and old DC is an Windows Server 2003 Stardard Edition, the second and new DC is Windows Server 2003 R2 Enterprise Edition. There used to be two other domain controllers. One of them died, and the second one wasn't working, so we took brought both down and decided to get 2 new servers up and going. So far, I tried to follow this guide to replace the old DC with the new one because the old one is really slow.

http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=k...549&x=12&y=12I

I managed to get most (didn't finish importing DHCP settings) of the settings and data files copied to the newer server, I just can't move the roles over. I kept getting an error saying that the FSMO role holder could not be contacted ... (can't remember exactly how it went using the gui) I then tried using the console program and it looked like it works but whenever I try to change the roles to the newer server, it says it worked without a problem, I close the windows, open it again and it says the Role Master is Error. I then tried to seize the roles I think that was what I did wrong. Now each DC is showing itself as the Role Master.

I've had a bunch of problems getting the new server promoted, but in the end it worked. As far as I know, on the one server which died used to be the schema master holder. When I finally figured that out and moved it to the one working server, I was able to get the forest prepped. We also have a domain file server, and at first I had set up a DFS replication with the newer server, but that didn't work because I kept getting a not enough memory error. As for errors the only ones I can find is from srv and it says that there's not enough much free space on drive C (the old server, which is the one reason we wan't to replace it)

When I run dcdiag on the newer server I get this error.

Testing server: Standardname-des-ersten-Standorts\ISMPC13 Starting test: Connectivity The host ffcbcbd2-be1f-44d8-abfa-a7c30aa5db5c._msdcs.fsm1.mach.uni-********.de could not be resolved to an IP address. Check the DNS server, DHCP, server name, etc Although the Guid DNS name (ffcbcbd2-be1f-44d8-abfa-a7c30aa5db5c._msdcs.fsm1.mach.uni-********.de) couldn't be resolved, the server name (ismpc13.fsm1.mach.uni-*********.de) resolved to the IP address (172.22.78.13) and was pingable.

Check that the IP address is registered correctly with the DNS server. ......................... ISMPC13 failed test ConnectivityDoing primary tests Testing server: Standardname-des-ersten-Standorts\ISMPC13 Skipping all tests, because server ISMPC13 is not responding to directory service requests

I checked through the dns protocol and I found some errors. It seems it can't load the msdcs, it says the Active Directory Definition for this Resource is either corrupted or it holds an invalid dns-name.
        Not really sure what to do about it though. On the old server dcdiag provides no failures.

one thing I noticed was that the new server ismpc13 when I ping it it doesn't show up as part of the domain.So instead of ismpc13.fsm1.mach.uni-***.de

it shows up as ismpc13.mach.uni-****.de
        Last edited by whitethorn; 3rd November 2008, 14:28.

Comment

Don't hijack threads. The forum rules are very clear on this. Additionally, your problem is in no way related to the question being asked in this thread, nor is it appropriate for this forum. Exchange questions belong in the Exchange forum.
          Gareth Howells

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post
            Don't hijack threads. The forum rules are very clear on this. Additionally, your problem is in no way related to the question being asked in this thread, nor is it appropriate for this forum. Exchange questions belong in the Exchange forum.
            Hmmm Hijacking his own thread would be quite cool...
            Marcel
            Technical Consultant
            Netherlands
            http://www.phetios.com
            http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
            "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
            "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

My response was to a post that has now seemingly been deleted, I don't remember the member's user ID offhand. The question was regarding migrating an Exchange mailbox, which is not relevant to this thread.

To clarify - whitethorn, my post was not aimed at you.
              Gareth Howells

Comment

Yeah no worries, I saw the other guy's post as well. Any ideas about my problem? I tried to answer as best I could. I think one of the main problems is with the DNS server not running properly. Replication isn't working properly, does it all tie together?

I also ran netdiag on the old server. I got an KCC could not add this replica link due to error ... Reason StaleServer Topology
                Last edited by whitethorn; 3rd November 2008, 14:59.

Comment

It's quite possible that it's a DNS problem - if your DNS is not healthy then a lot of other things will turn ugly too.
                  Gareth Howells

Comment

My bad. I moved the thread but didn't see the warning from Gareth.

Keep up the good work on the moderation Gareth.

Michael
                    Michael Armstrong
                    www.m80arm.co.uk
                    MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Will do. Dumber, if you start charging 5 per merge in the coffee lounge can I start charging 5 for every hijack I pick up on?

Newcastle boy, eh? 3 years at Durham uni and all I got was this lame beer gut

I miss the Geordies - the locals where I'm based now have webbed feet
                      Gareth Howells

Comment

How would I go about cleaning my DNS? When I was prepping the forest for dcpromo, I went through the dns settings and removed whatever entries I could find of other now no longer existant servers. When I run netdiag on the old server though I don't get any errors.

Comment

Originally posted by whitethorn View Post
                          I went through the dns settings and removed whatever entries I could find of other now no longer existant servers.
                          Do the records for existing servers point at the correct IP addresses? Ideally your servers should all have IP address reservations in DHCP, is that the case?
                          Gareth Howells

Comment

I wouldn't know what I should be looking for. In the msdcs forward looking zone I wasn't able to find anything about the second server. Should I add it somewhere. At my uni we have a certain amount of ips given to us both servers have a static ip. In the dhcp we only have 9 ip range for laptop users. As far as I've seen the ips are pointed in the right direction.

Comment

its a messy situation you got there.
                              Open DSA.MSC, and check the Domain Controller OU. Check how many servers are listed there (If some old DC's are still shown, do not remove them yet).
                              Right click "Active Directory Users and Computers" and sellect Operation Masters.
                              Check who is the owner. Is the Owner ofline or online?

Open Active Directory Domains and Trusts. Right click the same name in the left pane and click Operation Masters. Check who is the owner of the Domain naming master.

Connect to each domain controller to verify if the information required is the same on each DC (Using Connect to Domain Controller).

Register the schmmgmt.dll and open the Active Directory Schema snap-in. Check the owner of the Schema mater on both Dc's.

tell us what you have seen.
                              [Powershell]
                              Start-DayDream
                              Set-Location Malibu Beach
                              Get-Drink
                              Lay-Back
                              Start-Sleep
                              Wake-Up!
                              Resume-Service
                              Write-Warning
                              [/Powershell]

BLOG: Therealshrimp.blogspot.com