Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Win 98 sees 2 servers but not the 3. What is different?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Win 98 sees 2 servers but not the 3. What is different?

Hi,

I have 3 servers. One is 2003 Enterprise SP1 (old DC) a 2000 Server just for terminal services, DC as well and I added a new Server 2003 Standard R2 SP2. I moved my shares from the old 2003 server and all 2000 and XP comptuters see the shares no problem.
    My Win98 computers don't see the new server' shares.
    I can ping the new server by IP or name from 98's, but if I look in network neighbourhood I don't see the new server.
    What am I missing? What is different?How can I solve this?
    Thanks a lot for all the help!
    Octavian

Re: Win 98 sees 2 servers but not the 3. What is different?

Make sure the share names are not longer than 12 characters. Win98 does not recognise more than 12 (8.3 format)

Comment

Originally posted by Octagon View Post
      Make sure the share names are not longer than 12 characters. Win98 does not recognise more than 12 (8.3 format)
      Well it is less than 12. The same folder structure was on the old Server2003 and worked perfect.
      As soon as I moved the structure onto the new 2003, win98 does not see it.
      If I go to windows explorer and type \\192.168.100.2 (ip of the new server) says that the path is invalid. I try the dns name...same. I ping both IP or DNS name...I get replies. Should I enable WINS on the new server?

Comment

I would check that:
        1) "File and Printer sharing" is enabled on the network connection;
        2) the firewall is either disabled or at least it allows File and Printer sharing requests.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
        -

Comment

Originally posted by sorinso View Post
          I would check that:
          1) "File and Printer sharing" is enabled on the network connection;
          2) the firewall is either disabled or at least it allows File and Printer sharing requests.
          I understand what you are saying. But wouldn't this interfeer with conectivity from WinXP and Win2000 workstations?
          Maybe I omited to mention that we have mainly winXP workstations with a few 2000s and about 10 98's that are still running. Only the WIn98's have issues. Every other computer connects no problem.
          That's why I tend to think there is something more complicated that just the firewall.
          Anyways...on the new Server 2003 if I try to access the firewall it tells me that something else is using ipnat.sys and it cannot be started. I have a RAS server running for remote VPN connections.

Comment

Originally posted by ovlaicu View Post
            But wouldn't this interfeer with conectivity from WinXP and Win2000 workstations?
            [Move to Romanian] Bineinteles ca ai dreptate!! [/move back to English]
            Of course you are right... I should have read again your first post. Sorry

Do the shares name contain spaces, by any chance?

Windows98 uses NetBIOS for network services, like sharing and name resolving.
            Do you have NetBIOS over TCP/IP enabled on the R2 server?
            Do you have a WINS entry for the new server? Try nbtstat -a [new server's name] at the command line in one of the 98 computers and post the result, please.

Succes!

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
            -

Comment

Originally posted by sorinso View Post
              Windows98 uses NetBIOS for network services, like sharing and name resolving.
              Do you have NetBIOS over TCP/IP enabled on the R2 server?
              [move to romanian] Pupa-l-ar tata pe el, ce m-a scos din rahat [move back to english]

I owe you a big bear bud. I guess by default the NetBIOS over TCP/IP is disabled in R2. I just have to change it to the default (DHCP) and it works like a charm.
              Thanks a million.

Comment

Cool !!
                I am glad it helped and your issue is solved
                Thank you for calling Petri.co.il support line

Sorin Solomon

-

Comment

Originally posted by ovlaicu View Post
                  I guess by default the NetBIOS over TCP/IP is disabled in R2.
                  Correct and this because of security. Actually I even thought is was disabled on Windows 2003 (without R2) also.
                  But errmm... Isn't it time to upgrade Windows 98 to Vista?
                  Marcel
                  Technical Consultant
                  Netherlands
                  http://www.phetios.com
                  http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
                  "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
                  "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Working...
                  X