Windows 2000 server doesn't boot after KB954211

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 2000 server doesn't boot after KB954211

It begins booting and arrives at a light blue high definition screen, but it doesn't go beyond. The disks show continuous IO. To solve the trouble I have to start the system with F8 in safe mode and then to uninstall the update. After that the system restart again normally.

Some idea?

Thanks to replying people, regards to everyone,

Re: Windows 2000 server doesn't boot after KB954211

Anything in the event logs? Any text on the bluescreen?
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Thanks for the reply and sorry for my poor English.

I hadn't the time to look at the event log and will be the first thing I'll do on monday morning at work (from here I can't access the system), but I think that I'll not find anything because the event log service didn't started before I pushed the power button. In the past days it happened already one time (but then I couldn't identify the exact patch causing the trouble - windowsupdate installed 6 updates) and then the system stayed at night and alone for at least 8 hours in such state, starting without start.

On the blue screen there wasn't any message also because it was not a crash or stop blue screen but a light blue graphical screen that normally comes before the logon window or the window saying that services are starting or the system initializing.

Regards

Comment

As I thought in the event log there aren't anything. Now I tried to reinstall the SP4, then I'll try again with windowsupdate patches. I don't love very much Windows, I really prefer Linux where you can understand what's happening.

Comment

Originally posted by afer View Post
          As I thought in the event log there aren't anything. Now I tried to reinstall the SP4, then I'll try again with windowsupdate patches. I don't love very much Windows, I really prefer Linux where you can understand what's happening.
          You are talking about an operating system that is coming up to 9 years old and has been superceeded twice (Server 2003 and Server 200.

Have you read the KB article? http://support.microsoft.com/kb/954211

Is there any reason why you can't remove Windows 2000 (assuming is it a server) and install Linux instead? This is a serious question.
          1 1 was a racehorse.
          2 2 was 1 2.
          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Thx for your reply. The system is not so old, it's not A Windows NT 3.5 server, it's a bright and shining Windows 2000 server SP4 I read the article about such update.
            Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
            Is there any reason why you can't remove Windows 2000 (assuming is it a server) and install Linux instead? This is a serious question.
            Sadly on that server there is an old proprietary program that runs on windows only

Comment

Install Linux, run vmware server on top of it and install Windows 2000 and the application.
              Make a regular snapshot and I'm pretty sure you are quite safe. And I'm serious about it.

Don't feel insulted but I think it's rather ignorance then knowledge to say you don't like windows.
              I work with both and I like both. Both has their pros and cons.
              Linux is for me a bit harder to understand but slowly I'm getting there.

Ps, I missed the 2 post above me..
              Last edited by Dumber; 4th November 2008, 10:09.
              Marcel
              Technical Consultant
              Netherlands
              http://www.phetios.com
              http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
              "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
              "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Originally posted by Dumber View Post
                Install Linux, run vmware server on top of it and install Windows 2000 and the application.
                Make a regular snapshot and I'm pretty sure you are quite safe. And I'm serious about it.

Don't feel insulted but I think it's rather ignorance then knowledge to say you don't like windows.
                I agree, but in theese circumstances I have good reasons to dislike Windows.
                I've found a clue to my problem. The trouble is that is in German:
                http://www.microsoft.com/communities...&cr=&sloc=&p=1
                Could you help, please?

Comment

Kasparsky AV could be a problem... Do you have Kasparsky installed as your AV?

Another one about the same av i assume:
                  -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  wenn nach der Installation von MS KB954211 unter Windows 2000 SP4, das
                  Betriebssystem nicht mehr startet, ändern Sie im abgesicherten Modus
                  bitte folgenden Registry-Wert:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\Klif\Start

Diesen Wert setzen Sie bitte auf “2“.

Eine nähere Erklärung zu diesem Wert:

The values define the order of driver load:

1. Boot
                  2. Automatic
                  3. Demand

Dieser Registry-Wert lässt sich bei aktiviertem Selbstschutz unseres
                  Virenscanners nicht ändern. Deshalb müssen Sie dazu kurzzeitig den
                  Selbstschutz deaktivieren: "Einstellungen" -> "Service" -> Option
                  "Selbstschutz aktivieren" deaktivieren - > Button "Übernehmen"

Vergessen Sie bitte nicht, nach der Änderung den Selbstschutz wieder zu
                  aktivieren.

Danach starten Sie den Server neu.

Gruss,
                  Joachim
                  -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Freely translation (my german is quite rusty dough)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  After the installation of KB954211 and Windows 2000 SP4 don't restart then reboot in safe mode.
                  After rebooted in safe mode do the following;
                  Start regedit
                  Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\Klif\Start
                  Change the value to 2.

A explination about the values:

1. Boot
                  2. Automatic
                  3. Demand

This registry value is in our self-activated Virus scanner does not change.
                  Therefore, you must temporarily to the Auto-disable "Settings" -> "service" -> Options "Auto-activate" disable -> button "Apply"

Don't forget after changing this that you should reenable the Auto-Activate.
                  ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(My own text again)
                  I'm not sure if this will help. Make sure you backup the registy carefully.
                  Also I'm not responsible for my translation and/or any problems which might occur with this.
                  Marcel
                  Technical Consultant
                  Netherlands

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE

Comment

Thx for your reply. The system is not so old, it's not A Windows NT 3.5 server, it's a bright and shining Windows 2000 server SP4 I read the article about such update.

Sadly on that server there is an old proprietary program that runs on windows only
                    Ah yes, the troublesome proprietary programs. My sympathies and good luch.
                    1 1 was a racehorse.
                    2 2 was 1 2.
                    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

My mutter could help, and also google translation and also a kind italian person who gave me a reply in the M$ newsgroup. Now the problem is solved and Windows disliked, it is, the system didn't give me any clues to solve the problem (event log without messages neither messages at startup). In Linux I have had been at least startup messages to understand where and when it hanged, but it have hadn't been hanged because in Linux antivirus starting at startup are meaningless.

Comment

Thank you very much Dumber for your translation, the best of whom I seen so far. I made like this and now the system work. Best regards
                        Last edited by afer; 6th November 2008, 14:46.

Comment

Thank you very much Dumber for your translation, the best of whom I seen so far. I did like this and now the system work. Best regards
                          I did my best for translating it. I haven't spoke german for more then 12 years and because I'm Dutch it was quite hard

Well glad you solved it.. So it was your AV which was gaving the problems?
                          Marcel
                          Technical Consultant
                          Netherlands

Comment

Originally posted by Dumber View Post
                            Well glad you solved it.. So it was your AV which was gaving the problems?
                            Yes, it was Kaspersky.

Comment

Working...
                            X