Windows 2000 AD/DC Nightmare

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 2000 AD/DC Nightmare

Yesterday morning the holloween gods got me .

Our Windows 2000 AD/DC decided it had enough and crapped out. After 8 hours of trying it would'nt recover so i grabbed a New box that i was planning on building next month to replace the Single DC server. I loaded up win2003 Enterprise R2 and started configuring it as the new AD/DC and here's where the fun begins. I did set it up using the same Domain name as the dead server "not sure if that was the way to go but seemed the easiest way to get everything up"

I got it all configured fine got our users added and computers added. even managed to pull the old drives and get all the data from the company employee share folder and company data share folder.

Now i run into this, since i used the same domain name i'm having the task of figuring out how to renew all the workstations to use this new server without taking all the workstations off the domain and then add them back on.

The issue is all the workstations can connect to the new server but there all getting USERENV and Autoenrollment Errors, i figure that the only way to resolve this because of the SID being from the old Domain is to crack all the workstations of the domain and add them back on.

Is there a easier way to resolve this without removing all the workstations from the domain and adding them back on ? "which will loose all the users WS settings and other local crap thats on their stations"

The person who set this up before i came along was'nt bright he did'nt use roaming profiles and allowed local workstation storage and just had user shares on the old AD/DC to map employee My Document Folders and Outlook PST folders.

Re: Windows 2000 AD/DC Nightmare

Not that I know of.
    How any are you talking about?

You can take them all off, put them back on and change the profile paths in the registry for every user that uses it. It is a fair bit of work.

Too late to say this is why you should always have 2 DC though.
    cheers
    Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Originally posted by AndyJG247 View Post
      Not that I know of.
      How any are you talking about?

You can take them all off, put them back on and change the profile paths in the registry for every user that uses it. It is a fair bit of work.

Too late to say this is why you should always have 2 DC though.
      There's about 60 workstations

Thats what i figured i'll have to do, was just trying to see if there was somehting i was'nt thinking of or a solution to save me time.

Totally agree, thats why i had the new server was going to add it to the domain as abackup DC then promote it to the main.

I just took over this network 2 months ago and even thou it was setup very basic the first thing i was going to do was add the backup DC and resolve this single DC issue first before going on to other network issues.

Comment

Things always work that way unfortunately.
        I think I would start on the machines, get them on the domain, you can sort GPO later.
        If you only have 1 user per machine you can get the profiles back but if you have loads I would leave them so users get fresh ones. You can then spend the time sorting email/files etc so people can work. I would speak with the boss as well, get him/her onboard and understanding the situation so it isn't too painful on Monday.
        cheers
        Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Working...
        X