Folder Permissions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Folder Permissions

I have a folder that has about 100 pictures. I would like to share that folder with the rest of my company, however I want people only to be able view pictures and nothing else. I want to make sure they can't copy it, download to their desktops or delete it from the server.
    Any idea which permissions do I need to set on the folder to be able to do it ?
    Thanks

Re: Folder Permissions

You can grant them Read permissions to prevent them from modifying or deleting the folder and its contents, but there's no way you can prevent them from copying the folder or files to another location.
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Please tell us what the server OS is and I will move this thread to the most appropriate Windows forum.

Basically, you will need to use DRM -- digital rights management -- to make sure they cannot download, and even then, it may not work!
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd
      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

As long as you have the read permission set. People will be able to copy files and folders.
        Ronuel
        MCP
        There is only one way to find Out..Its to try it and/or Do it...

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
          Please tell us what the server OS is and I will move this thread to the most appropriate Windows forum.

Basically, you will need to use DRM -- digital rights management -- to make sure they cannot download, and even then, it may not work!
          It's Server 2003, and Win XP Pro on the workstations.
          Thanks

Comment

Moved.....
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
            X