Need to resize system partition

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need to resize system partition

I need to resize the C drive on my ISA server. I can do it using Easeus Partition Manager Server but that only works on Basic disks- my server is using a Dynamic disk.

Is there any other product which will increase the partition on a Dynamic disk on a server?

Win2K3 Server.
    |
    +-- JDMils
    |
    +-- Regional Systems Engineer, DotNet programmer & Jack of all trades
    |

Re: Need to resize system partition

Why is it dynamic? Is there some kind of RAID setup?
    cheers
    Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Originally posted by AndyJG247 View Post
      Why is it dynamic? Is there some kind of RAID setup?
      Too late, anyway....

This link suggests some Acronis products may be suitable
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd
      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I take it system drives ("C") should not be set to Dynamic!? Thanks guys, I'll check out Tom's link and let you know what I find.
        |
        +-- JDMils
        |
        |

Comment

Dynamic disks are on a drive by drive basis, not partition/volume
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Had a look at the Acronis Disk Director Server and it does not support Dynamic disks so I guess I have no choice but to redo the server.
            |
            +-- JDMils
            |
            |

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
              Too late, anyway....

This link suggests some Acronis products may be suitable
              Maybe, if it was software raid it could be split and then try
              http://thelazyadmin.com/blogs/thelaz...sic-Disks.aspx
              on it?
              cheers
              Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Originally posted by JDMils View Post
                Had a look at the Acronis Disk Director Server and it does not support Dynamic disks so I guess I have no choice but to redo the server.
                It's a good thing this topic was brought up. I never knew about the limitation of not being able to resize a partition if it was dynamic. In fact, there's one server in particular that comes to my mind... which, If you'll excuse me, I'll go check right now...
                Wesley David
                LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
                -------------------------------
                Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
                Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
                Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
                Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

If it's only a ISA server (which I truly hope) I would suggest to backup the ISA config (don't forget any certificates) and start over.
                  It would only take up to a few hours and it's better then resizing.
                  Their could rise a lot of problems with resizing partitions.
                  Marcel
                  Technical Consultant
                  Netherlands
                  http://www.phetios.com
                  http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
                  "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
                  "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Originally posted by Dumber View Post
                    If it's only a ISA server (which I truly hope) I would suggest to backup the ISA config (don't forget any certificates)
                    One would also hope that if it's a production server, there are already regular backups.
                    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Sure, but a simple ISA backup is simple and fast and don't take much space.
                      An ISA server is simply being rebuild.
                      And.... With a regular backup the rules of the ISA server aren't backed up or there are agents out there which I don't know they exist.

Also the ISA backup (see ISA managment console) isn't something you should have to do on a regular base.
                      This because in good environments there isn't much need to adjust firewall configurations.
                      Marcel
                      Technical Consultant
                      Netherlands
                      http://www.phetios.com
                      http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
                      "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
                      "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Thanks guys. I'm at work now (I was partitioning via VPN from home using Dell DRAC) and I'm reloading the OS (with a 20 GB C drive now!!) and re-installing ISA 2006.

Backups are trully a good thing!
                        |
                        +-- JDMils
                        |
                        |

Comment

Convert to basic is easier to find a partition software sopporting Dynamic Disk...

At present, most partition software dont do the job, such as EASEUS, Acronis.

Comment

Originally posted by Nonapeptide View Post
                            never knew about the limitation of not being able to resize a partition if it was dynamic
                            Dynamic disks have additional disadvantages... For instance, you cannot go back to basic, unless you format the disks. And they are used for all kind of software (OS) based RAID implementations, that should be avoided (IMHO)...

Originally posted by Nonapeptide View Post
                            I'll go check right now...
                            Dude, I'm still waiting for the result... The tension is killing me

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
                            -

Comment

I had the same problem a few months ago and found this. I followed the instructions and it did work for me. Make sure you have a good backup before you try it though.
                              If the information you receive helps please let us know and leave reputation points where appropriate.

The good news about computers is that they do what you tell them to do. The bad news is that they do what you tell them to do. - Ted Nelson

Comment

Working...
                              X