Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• W2k3 32bit std and dual quad core

Hello,

I'm plan to image two w2k3 r2 32bit standard servers to Dual socket Quad core Xeon Dell's. I don't want to rebuild as the build was done quite recently.

My first question is what limitations will experiance running 32bit on this hardware? According to microsoft, none.

Secondly what imaging software would you recommend going from Adpatec 1210S SCSI to Dell PERC6/I or PERC5/I SAS. I have used Acronis 9.5 Echo in the past but have found it's struggles with allot of controllers. Either it see's through arrays and see's independant drives or very slow restore times.

Thirdly what is the different between the Dell controllers. i.e.
    PERC5/I and PERC6/I if I want a 73Gb in RAID1 and 600Gb in RAID5 with hot spare?

Re: W2k3 32bit std and dual quad core

Originally posted by Rednet View Post
    My first question is what limitations will experiance running 32bit on this hardware? According to microsoft, none.
    You won't be able to run 64-bit software or take advantage of the higher memory limits offered by 64-bit (not exactly the case, see http://www.brianmadden.com/blogs/bri...ally-mean.aspx)

Originally posted by Rednet View Post
    PERC5/I and PERC6/I if I want a 73Gb in RAID1 and 600Gb in RAID5 with hot spare?
    PERC6/I supports this, not sure about the PERC5.
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Hi Rednet, care to share the solution so others may benefit from your diligent research?
      1 1 was a racehorse.
      2 2 was 1 2.
      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
        Hi Rednet, care to share the solution so others may benefit from your diligent research?
        I'll let you know. Need to order the new servers yet.

Comment

Working...
        X