Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

User Login failed, missing server copy ...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• User Login failed, missing server copy ...

I recently installed a new server. Windows Server 2003 R2, promoted it to a DC using dcpromo. Since then things have been going wrong. I pretty much just copied the user profiles over to it and tried to set up a DFS for the user profiles. It doesn't work, I have another thread open about that. For some reason certain user's can't login anymore, they get their error that their profiles can't be found and a local profile will be used. Problem with this is that it's getting worse, it seems like where someone could login a day or so ago, can't anymore. I'm at loss trying to figure out why. In the active directory the profiles are pointed to

\\fsm1\user\profiles

fsm1 isn't a computer, that's the name of the domain.

Re: User Login failed, missing server copy ...

Hi, go through your group policies, use GPMC, check all the policy settings.

If fsm1 is the name of the domain then it looks like it's pointing at a dfs share.
    Last edited by uk_network; 30th October 2008, 19:50.
    Please remember to award reputation points if you have received good advice.
    I do tend to think 'outside the box' so others may not always share the same views.

MCITP -W7,
    MCSA+Messaging, CCENT, ICND2 slowly getting around to.

Comment

Should I be looking for any specific? I didn't set this up, and I've been looking at those almost the whole day... How can I tell where the domain profiles are being saved/copied. For some reason when I go to \\fsm1\user\profiles I can't look at any of them. From then on I get a Error saying I don't have enough permission, where can I change the permissions?
      Last edited by whitethorn; 30th October 2008, 20:03.

Comment

try opening gpmc, going to group policy objects, click a policy and click the settings tab, check through till u find one with that unc path.
        ther should be a group policy for redirection pointing to

\\fsm1\user\profiles

that policy should apply to the user accounts some place.
        Also check in active directory users and computers, look at the user account properties in the profile tab.

For an administrator to be able to see the profiles u have to have set the share permissons/security permissions correctly.

opermissions for the profiles folder..
        Share permissons: everyone = full control
        Please can you let me know what your security permissions are?

Administrator should be set at the root of the drive with full control and this should be inherited through the files/folders. The profiles folder should inherit this permission.

If you change something then remember what u did so u can go back.

I have to go out now for a haloween party and have ran out of time, maybe someone else an help u if im not about.
        Last edited by uk_network; 30th October 2008, 21:00.
        I do tend to think 'outside the box' so others may not always share the same views.

MCITP -W7,

Comment

Well I looked through all the group policies and found 3 redirecting paths. We have 3 different user groups students, and 2 kinds of worker groups. They're all pointing to

\\fms1\User\profiles\workergr1\%name%\Desktop ....
          \\fms1\user\profiles\workergr2
          \\fms1\user\profiles\students

I wasn't able to find anything with UNC in the path. As for my permissions, I'm logged in as the administrator but not the Owner. I tried changing permissions as the admin but some files wouldn't let me, and I wasn't able to change the permissions to get into

\\server1\user\profiles\workergr1 Which is where I think it stores the user profiles.

I've turned the DFS off, because I kept getting error msg from it. Seems like there's not enough memory/room on the C: partition for it to work properly. I still can't get into a bunch of user accounts. Would it be better to change the path to the profiles from the domain to a specific server? I could probably also change the path in the group policies...

Comment

You can take ownership files that u can't access.

right click>properties>security>advanced>owner
            choose administrator or administrators and click
            replace owner on subcontainer and objects.

Just out of interest, did u get in trouble for this?

MCITP -W7,

Comment

Well no, I started working here about 3 months ago. It's mostly a Suse environement, they have a small windows domain which I haven't done anything with except for getting rid of temp files and hotfixes. Until a server broke a week ago. So far I've gotten it to work with 2 user groups, log in and log out no problems. Still trying to get the right permissions for the last group. Thanx for the help it got me going on the right way.

Comment

Working...
              X