Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Windows 2003 license and product activation"

Hello,

I have a query regarding the windows 2003 license and product activation.

I have windows 2003 server running on Dell box and i have done product activation on it. My query is that what will happen if i install the same copy of windows 2003 with same cd-key on another dell machine and activate the windows 2003 ?? will it allow me to do the product activation or will it give me some error

Please clarify me on this.

Thanks in advance

Re: "Windows 2003 license and product activation"

Originally posted by sudhirgoogle View Post
    Hello,

I have a query regarding the windows 2003 license and product activation.

I have windows 2003 server running on Dell box and i have done product activation on it. My query is that what will happen if i install the same copy of windows 2003 with same cd-key on another dell machine and activate the windows 2003 ?? will it allow me to do the product activation or will it give me some error

Please clarify me on this.

Thanks in advance
    You'll be breaking the EULA and that is not tolerated on this forum.

Reported to a MOD for possible closing.

Comment

Hello wullieb1,

Thanks for your response.
      My intention is not to violate license EULA, i would like to have better understanding on behaviour of windows product activation.

the reason i have posted this query is that My understanding is that i can activate windows 2003 only single server box for n number of times, i cann't activate on multiple server box. But But i have windows 2003 image on DVD ( this was created using third party imaging software), whenever i restore the image to the server and login for first time it asks for the windows product activation and i am able to do it successfully, how this is possible ??
      I have tried restoring the image more that 10 times, I am still able to successfully activate the windows .

Please clarify be on this

Comment

Originally posted by sudhirgoogle View Post
        Hello wullieb1,

Thanks for your response.
        My intention is not to violate license EULA, i would like to have better understanding on behaviour of windows product activation.

the reason i have posted this query is that My understanding is that i can activate windows 2003 only single server box for n number of times, i cann't activate on multiple server box. But But i have windows 2003 image on DVD ( this was created using third party imaging software), whenever i restore the image to the server and login for first time it asks for the windows product activation and i am able to do it successfully, how this is possible ??
        I have tried restoring the image more that 10 times, I am still able to successfully activate the windows .

Please clarify be on this
        It looks for hardware changes. If the hardware is the same it will pass.

Comment

As far as I know the licensing rules, this is my opinion:
          - if you own a VLK (Volume License Key), then you can use that DVD image to install the number of the servers you have in your VLK. I hope the "template" machine was sysprep-ed before making the image.
          - if you own retail or OEM keys, you cannot install more than one machine using that key. It will be a breach of the licensing terms and/or EULA (as wullieb1 said). You can use the image to install the server, but you will have to purchase additional keys and replace it before activating the server.
          - if you talk about moving an OS from an old server to a new one (I know this is not the case, I thought it should be mentioned here), there is a 90-day period you need to wait between the two activations.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
          -

Comment

Working...
          X