Mystery ShutDowns

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mystery ShutDowns

One of the people on the network i look after are having a problem in that when they are connected to the Network there computer will just stop, the base unit will still be running but there is no response.

It seems like the Black Screen of Death. I have searched through the Microsoft Knowledge Base and also googled for ages and i am coming up short and hoping that you lot can help!

Thanks!!

Re: Mystery ShutDowns

Hard locks are likely hardware related but with the massive amounts of information you have provided I'm unfortunately not able to tie it down more.

Is it a specific type of server, 2000 or 2003, any event logs, hardware checks, overheating checks, intel/hp/dell diags etc?
    cheers
    Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Originally posted by AndyJG247 View Post
      Hard locks are likely hardware related but with the massive amounts of information you have provided I'm unfortunately not able to tie it down more.

Is it a specific type of server, 2000 or 2003, any event logs, hardware checks, overheating checks, intel/hp/dell diags etc?
      Hey yeh i have checked the vent log and the only problem is with the Active Sync! but she doesnt use that also it is running on 2003. i am sure it is software related as she tried another machine and her profile cut out again!

Comment

Using 2003 as a workstation?
        If she logs on locally does it happen?
        What programs are installed and are there any running?
        Do you use roaming profiles?
        Any specific apps?
        cheers
        Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Please describe exactly the problem that is being encountered and exactly what steps are taken to reproduce the issue.

Please confirm that this is only affecting one user, on any computer that they use. Please also confirm that other users can use those machines without problems.

Please describe what steps you have taken to diagnose the issue. If you ping the machine do you get a response?
          Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post
            Please describe exactly the problem that is being encountered and exactly what steps are taken to reproduce the issue.

Please confirm that this is only affecting one user, on any computer that they use. Please also confirm that other users can use those machines without problems.

Please describe what steps you have taken to diagnose the issue. If you ping the machine do you get a response?
            The computer looks like it gets the black screen and will simply not respond even though the base unit is running.
            The issue seems to happen at random when both sitting idle and also when running programs sush as normal office sotfware. The network connection is running fine and a ping registers with replies.

It is only affecting one user (Profile) and it moves around depending on the computer they are on. The problem also doesnt occur when another uses the computer directly after her.

I have been looking through the event viewer on our server and the only error relating to her profile is to do with the microsoft Activesync program that she doesnt use anyway. I have also been looking the Regedit to see if there are any registers that stand out as being the problem, have disconnected her PC fromthe network so it is now a stand alone and it has been working fine?

cheers for the help

Comment

Does she have a screensaver set on her profile, and is there a group policy applying a screensaver to her account? Is power management configured to put the computer to sleep etc?
              Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

there is no screen saver and the power management is no different from the desktop i run. This seems to be a very strange thing to have occured!!

Comment

Working...
                X