Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Web / Email DNS Issues (Was: We Mussed UP.)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Web / Email DNS Issues (Was: We Mussed UP.)

When we first setup our domain on W2k3 Serevr a few years back we hadn't envisioned what happened today.

We set the domain to be "ABC.org" - then today we started using our new website and webmail - also called "ABC.org" and "ABC.org/webmail" respectively. Needless to say we couldn't access the website or mail until we'd put in the IPand www.ABC.org into lmhosts on each PC and the Server.

Will this solution cause any long term effect or any loss of access to the server domain? if not, I shall leave well enough alone.

If it is likely to cause issues, then I guess I'm after renaming our AD schema - any pointers on that one or just google it?

Many thanks
    Stuart

Re: We Mussed UP.

Why use lmhosts on each machine? Why not use DNS, which is obviously set up if you're running Active Directory? It makes little sense to make 50 changes when 1 change would be a better solution.
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

I'm obviously missing something in your reply ... but the reason for lmhosts was due to me not being around and needing to talk a non-techie through the issue and to be honest I didn't think of DNS as being able to solve the issue.

Because that's what is causing the issue - or as I say, am I missing your meaning?

What I need to do is ensure the web side and the server side are individual items and if that is answered by creating a DNS record then great. My real concern is that one will cause a problem to the other ... ?

Comment

The problem as I understand it is that internal clients are not able to access external resources due to the internal domain name being configured without a .local (etc etc) suffix. To get around this, you need to create an A record in the forward lookup zone for your domain in DNS for each webserver etc that you have defined in lmhosts. This way, you make the change in one place, it is automatically picked up by every computer on the network and requires only one change to be made if you need to modify it. This will not affect anybody external to your network, as the DNS for your external domain is most likely hosted elsewhere.

This is the main issue that you will experience when using an "internet" domain name for a LAN, and it is why Microsoft and others strongly recommend against doing so.
        Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Hi there, just thought I would add something to the last post. First of all I assume that you are hosting your own mail and web site. If that is the case then most of the above is correct. However, rather than creating A records in DNS in your domain to link to your web site you should be creating Aliases or CN records to point to www.abc.org and owa.abc.org. This means that any requests for the above sites will be directed to the Host A record that is responsible for these roles.

Jewen.

Comment

All you need to do is add an A record in DNS for your webmail server and web server.

BTW i'm presuming that this is oly from inside the network that this happens.

Comment

Re: Web / Email DNS Issues (Was: We Mussed UP.)

Thanks all.

Having read the clarification and the other two replies I can see that this is the way forward. My only concern was that the internal network would somehow get affected by this duality of naming.

As I say - the lmhosts option was simply to allow a non techy to fix the issue for me as I was unable to attend site to resolve. I shall leave that in place for now and add the relevant DNS record when next I'm in.

Your help is much appreciated.

Comment

Sorry guys, I thought I new the basics about DNS records but must be confused.

Could someone explain how a Host A record for a web server is going to resolve a request for the web site www.abc.org that is hosted on a web sever called server3.abc.org or owa.abc.org that is hosted on server4.abc.org.

I always assumed that the A record for a machine related to its fully qualified domain name to IP address. Therefore if the web and exchange servers are not named www.abc.org and instead server3.abc.org then the host record that is mapped to the IP address is server3.abc.org. This is why I suggested the use of an Alias or CName record.

I would expect that if you were to create a host record such as www.abc.org and point it at an IP address of the hosting server then you could end up with conflicting addresses for the same same server if it registers itself in DNS.

This is why I chose Cname values. Using A records may work but does that not cause problems in itself.

Cheers,

Jewen.
                Last edited by jewen; 28th October 2008, 23:01. Reason: Spelling

Comment

Hi Jewen - in our case we aren't hosting our own web and mail servers, these are done by a hosting company and we simply weren't able to access them.

Comment

Hi there, that makes more sense. I was still working on the assumption that you were hosting internally.

Feel better for it.

Cheers,

Jewen.

Comment

Working...
                    X