folder migration

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• folder migration

I just created a new backup PDC, Replication is working fine active directory looks good, I copied all the user folder from the primary DC onto the backup, all good, the problem I have is everybody is still saving to the primary server, How do I keep the backup server upto date with all the changes to thier folders. I.E Wprd, Excel, etc.. In the case the primary fails and they have to run off the backup server. Is there a script I can use?

Thanks

Re: folder migration

You could setup a scheduled task to use xcopy or robocopy, personally though I'd just restore from the backup (that you do have and test regularly, correct?) if a server goes down.
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

What about DFS (Distributed File System)?
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd
      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Did you redirect my documents or something before??? is that what's still pointing to the old server??
        Please remember to award reputation points if you have received good advice.
        I do tend to think 'outside the box' so others may not always share the same views.

MCITP -W7,
        MCSA+Messaging, CCENT, ICND2 slowly getting around to.

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
          What about DFS (Distributed File System)?
          It is an option, certainly, but still requires regular backups
          Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post
            It is an option, certainly, but still requires regular backups
            Agreed, but it is (IMHO) the easiest solution to the OP's request of a live, up to date, backup server.
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Well IF it's a migration (see title), I wouldn't go for DFS.
              To much trouble. I would simply write a robocopy script and shedule it.

However, If the TS wants to use both servers as a file servers then I would go for DFS.
              Marcel
              Technical Consultant
              Netherlands
              http://www.phetios.com
              http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
              "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
              "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Working...
              X