Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Primary DNS zone fails to transfer to new DC/DNS servers

Hi All

I've been tasked with installing 12 new Win 2003 r2 DC/DNS servers to replace some of the existing 2003 SP1 DC/DNS servers within AD.

The setup is as such :

Parent Domain - 1 single DC/DNS usdc-01 with a FQDN domain.com
    Child Domain - 1 single DC/DNS nydc-01 with ap.domain.com
    Child Domain 2 - eu.ap.domain.com

These new DC's are for the eu.ap.domain.com. DNS is AD integrated.

The problem that I've hit is with the DNS server on the new DC. The primary zone "domain.com" fails to transfer from the parent domain to the new DC/DNS servers in the eu.ap child domain. All other AD integrated zones have successfully transfered including the _msdc.domain.com. The parent domain was adprep'd for 2003 R2 but the ap.domain was not.

DC replication is controlled within the eu.ap domain via an ipsec policy however, there's no ipsec policy inplace between the parent and child domains.

Checking the dc in the parent domain shows that the new server registered successfully, although I had to manually add the new DC to the ForestDNSzone and DomainDNSzone's. DNS replication on the parent DC for that zone is set to All DNS server within the domain and I've added the new DC to the name server list. I'm at a loss as of what to do next - running dcdiag /test:dns shows that there is a dns config issue (root hints are incorrect, etc)but the configuration on the new server matches that on the existing DC's. Netdiag /fix and dcdiag /fix fails to resolve the problem and running dnslint against the server produces no errors at all.

Should I delegate the zone to the new DNS server's ? Or is there something else that I'm completely missing. Should i change the DNS replication setting on the parent DC ? Or perhaps start again with the new DC's and if so what's the exact procedure to use - I think I've followed everything correctly but something is obviously wrong.

Any help and assitance in cracking this would be really appericated. I can post the errors from dcdiag etc.

Cheers

HArj

Re: Primary DNS zone fails to transfer to new DC/DNS servers

For future reference, questions related to Active Directory/DNS are best asked in the Active Directory forum. One of the MODs will most likely move this shortly.

Comment

Hi Akila

Thanks for posting a reply and letting me know that I'd posted this in the wrong forum.

Some additional info on the DNS Zone transfer setting on the domain.com zone :

* AD/DNS on the domain.com DC- All DNS servers within the domain
      * AD/DNS on the ap.domain.com DC- All domain controllers specified in the following partition: DomainDnsZones.domain.com
      * AD/DNS on the eu.ap.domain.com on all existing DC's - All domain controllers specified in the following partition: DomainDnsZones.domain.com.

Cheers

H

Comment

Originally posted by Harjtt View Post
        Hi Akila

Thanks for posting a reply and letting me know that I'd posted this in the wrong forum.

Some additional info on the DNS Zone transfer setting on the domain.com zone :

* AD/DNS on the domain.com DC- All DNS servers within the domain
        * AD/DNS on the ap.domain.com DC- All domain controllers specified in the following partition: DomainDnsZones.domain.com
        * AD/DNS on the eu.ap.domain.com on all existing DC's - All domain controllers specified in the following partition: DomainDnsZones.domain.com.

Cheers

H
        those are options where you want to place the DNS data , on what Partition.
        what is exactly your question on that matter?

Comment

Working...
        X