Event Source: NTDS Replication
    Event Category: Backup
    Event ID: 2089
    Date: 21/10/2008
    Time: 12:41:41 PM
    User: NT AUTHORITY\ANONYMOUS LOGON
    Computer: HSHS-BDC1
    Description:
    This directory partition has not been backed up since at least the following number of days.

I can't see a good reason for this. DNS is fine and nothing has been changed. The database file is there but not written to for a while. Most of the fixes for this error seem pretty drastic. (dcpromo, down then back again)

We are hanging on waiting for a new server which has been promised for a while. Do you think a server with this error could stay operational for 3 months? Then the semester is over. Otherwise, I need to start trying to fix it. Any opinions and advice much appreciated.

Re: NTDS Replication failed

That's not an error. Its just a notice saying AD has not been backed up for x days. Where x = tombstone lifetime threshold/2.

Use ntbackup to backup the system state and the message will go away.

Comment

Originally posted by pksupport View Post
      Our Windows 2003 server has stopped replication.
      I think this is the key quote here. How do you know?
      Can you run DCDiag and NetDiag (link in misc sticky).
      How many DCs/Domains etc do you have?
      You should backup AD regularly even if you have multiple DCs.
      cheers
      Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Originally posted by Garen View Post
        That's not an error. Its just a notice saying AD has not been backed up for x days. Where x = tombstone lifetime threshold/2.

Use ntbackup to backup the system state and the message will go away.
        For future reference, questions related to Active Directory/DNS are best asked in the Active Directory forum.

he is right your replication is working fine, this warning is letting you know that your DC (NTDS.dit to be more precised) was not backedup for "X" amount of days.
        Run a backup of the SysState of the DC and your done.
        Last edited by Akila; 23rd October 2008, 17:55.

Comment

A 2003 SP1-based DC will report event ID 2089 if it determines that an NC has not been backed up within the backup latency interval. By default, this interval is 50 percent of the tombstone lifetime interval. This is configurable through a Registry value.
          HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\NTDS\Parame ters\ Type: REG_DWORD Value: Backup Latency Threshold (days)

The following articles contain additional information about the new behavior:
          A new event error message is logged if you do not back up a Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1 (SP1)-based domain controller in a given time period
          http://support.microsoft.com/?id=914034

How the Active Directory Replication Model Works -> Backup Latency Interval
          http://technet2.microsoft.com/Window....mspx?mfr=true

Comment

Firstly, I apologize for posting in the incorrect area. Duly noted.

Also, thanks very much for the replies. I feel better about the problem!

What I find strange is why this error should happen now. Of course the server is backed up. Who wouldn't back up a server with 800 users? I use the built in Windows Backup for the entire C drive once a month; this file is kept on the server so that I can use disaster recovery; and also in Veritas I have a tape devoted to the C Drive with system state; and once a semester I use True Image from a bootable CD. Why doesn't the server know about the first one? I read articles that say that ntbackup is no good anyway but I am backed up to the hilt. I didn't set up this server, but I've never seen this error before, so obviously something is wrong somewhere. I have looked through a lot of stuff on the web but I am none the wiser.
            Last edited by pksupport; 25th October 2008, 03:51.

Comment

Working...
            X