my dc has two dns names???

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my dc has two dns names???

I renamed my win2k3 dc from srv01 to srv02 and now when I do an nslookup it pulls the same ip address I checked dns forward and reverse lookup and there are no entries for the old name(srv01). what gives? I also did a search in ad and nothing came back with srv01. anyhelp would be great.
    knowledge is power

Re: my dc has two dns names???

If u change computer names then the ip address should be the same.
    might also want to try ipconfig/flushdns
    Last edited by uk_network; 22nd October 2008, 01:15.
    Please remember to award reputation points if you have received good advice.
    I do tend to think 'outside the box' so others may not always share the same views.

MCITP -W7,
    MCSA+Messaging, CCENT, ICND2 slowly getting around to.

Comment

When you do an NSLOOKUP, it first returns the name of the DNS server which resolved the query and whether it was authoritative. Then it returns the answer.

Go to the server which resolved the query and find the "cached lookups" object in the DNS console; right click it and clear/flush the cache. Do this until all the caches on all of your DNS Servers are clear. Then do an IPCONFIG /FLUSHDNS on a client and try your NSLOOKUP again. If it still resolves then more investigation is needed and we'll need to ask more questions.

Tom
      For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Yes that or dnscmd /clearcache
        Please remember to award reputation points if you have received good advice.
        I do tend to think 'outside the box' so others may not always share the same views.

MCITP -W7,
        MCSA+Messaging, CCENT, ICND2 slowly getting around to.

Comment

Originally posted by techie211 View Post
          I renamed my win2k3 dc from srv01 to srv02 and now when I do an nslookup it pulls the same ip address I checked dns forward and reverse lookup and there are no entries for the old name(srv01). what gives? I also did a search in ad and nothing came back with srv01. anyhelp would be great.
          I still can't see what is the problem then?
          You renamed the DC name to srv2, why are you looking for SRV1?
          Anyway , the problem is most likely caused (which is not really a problem) , since your DNS is configured to "Secure Updates Only" , that means that when you renamed the DC it renamed it's DNS record with it when you booted the Machine.

For future reference, questions related to Active Directory/DNS are best asked in the Active Directory forum. One of the MODs will most likely move this shortly.

Comment

Originally posted by Akila View Post
            I still can't see what is the problem then?
            You renamed the DC name to srv2, why are you looking for SRV1?
            Anyway , the problem is most likely caused (which is not really a problem) , since your DNS is configured to "Secure Updates Only" , that means that when you renamed the DC it renamed it's DNS record with it when you booted the Machine.

For future reference, questions related to Active Directory/DNS are best asked in the Active Directory forum. One of the MODs will most likely move this shortly.
            I wanted to setup another machine and use the SRV1 name but didn't want to continue until the 'old' SRV1 name was removed from DNS. Thanks for the replys. I removed all references related to SRV1 from DNS and was able to setup the new server.
            knowledge is power

Comment

Working...
            X