Crazy DNS issue

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crazy DNS issue

hey ppl, I'm running a windows 2003 network with AD/DNS. When a new workstation is added to the network it picks up an ip and when I do an nslookup of that ip addy, it'll list different host names??? I checked the DNS server and it has multiple entries with the same ip address??? Why would the DNS server list an ip address multiple times pointing to different hosts???

thanks for any help
    knowledge is power

Re: Crazy DNS issue

Just delete all the records from dns for the host records with the same address, it sounds like ur dhcp has leased that address out to multiple clients and each client has registered in dns.

You can set up scavenging to be the same as ur dhcp lease time so that old records are removed, but if your on a small network then it might be easier to just manually delete them.
    Last edited by uk_network; 20th October 2008, 21:49.
    Please remember to award reputation points if you have received good advice.
    I do tend to think 'outside the box' so others may not always share the same views.

MCITP -W7,
    MCSA+Messaging, CCENT, ICND2 slowly getting around to.

Comment

Your DNS server runs on what IP? This IP is configured on all servers and workstations as their primary DNS server?
      Please remember to leave positive reputation points (The Ying Yang Icon) if someone helps you.

Comment

Originally posted by ]SK[ View Post
        Your DNS server runs on what IP? This IP is configured on all servers and workstations as their primary DNS server?
        yes, I have Server Options:006 DNS Servers setup. and all servers are pointing to this DNS. I've included a pic to show an example: Do you think scaveging will clean this up? and what settings?
        Attached Files
        Last edited by techie211; 21st October 2008, 23:17.
        knowledge is power

Comment

That looks like one busy DNS server

I would certainly try scaveging. The default 7 days should be enough.
          Please remember to leave positive reputation points (The Ying Yang Icon) if someone helps you.

Comment

Working...
          X