Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

windows 2003, processor died how to recover my settings?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• windows 2003, processor died how to recover my settings?

Hi,

I work for an Institut at my Uni. Today one of our windows 2003 servers stopped working. I'm pretty sure the cpu died. My problem right now is, I have a harddrive with our windows 2003 installed on it and I have a new pc which I could use as the next server. I was wondering if there's some way to salvage the data, or somehow get it working again. The servers were installed before I came along, I don't really know much about it. so any help would be great.

So far I've managed to get a new windows 2003 server installed.

Re: windows 2003, processor died how to recover my settings?

What was this server used for? Was it a DC, file server etc?
    More info please.

If you just want files off it then add it as a slave drive in the new machine and you can just copy the files off (assuming not encrypted).
    cheers
    Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

It was running as a DC, I have been trying to get the new computer (the one I installed windows server 2003 R2 on yesterday) added to the domain using dcpromo. I've ran into all sorts of snags along the way, took me half a day to figure out that the scheme master was running on the server that broke. Right now I've managed to get the scheme master running on a different server, so I can now get it promote it. Over the next couple days the other two servers (old ones) are going to get replaced by newer machines. Is there a way of moving the files onto the newer machines? Should I just dcpromo them all?
      alright I've gotten the scheme master running on a different pc. whenever I run adprep.exe /forestprep I get this failureAdprep was unable to extend the schema.[Status/Consequence]The schema master did not complete a replication cycle after the last reboot. The schema master must complete at least one replication cycle before the schema can be extended.[User Action]Verify that the schema master is connected to the network and can communicate with other domain controllers. Use the Sites and Services snap-in to replicate between the schema operations master and at least one replication partner. After replication has succeeded, run adprep again.I don't have a clue what to do. I've searched the web but so far the only webpages I found were for windows 2000 systems. I'm trying to do this on a windows server 2003 standard edition. ??
      Last edited by whitethorn; 21st October 2008, 16:21. Reason: frustration

Comment

If it was a DC you need to clean the metadata of its entries. I would also run DCDiag and Netdiag to confirm AD is healthy.
        Check there were no other roles on that server too (netdom /query fsmo).
        If you have seized the role then wait for replication too.

How many DCs are involved?

To get to files on that server just get the drive plugged in somewhere. Without knowing what type of drive/connections you have it is hard to say what to do next.
        cheers
        Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

So I followed the guide, and removed the metadata of the broken server. We have 2 DCs. How long does it take for replication? I don't understand why the adprep.exe /forestgroup didn't work.

How can I check what else was running on the server?

I ran dcdiag
          It says replication has failed it says the RPC server is not available. And it seems there have 6356 failures.
          Last edited by whitethorn; 21st October 2008, 17:41.

Comment

Why didn't you just replace the CPU?

When an FSMO holding server is booted it has to sync with another DC before it puts its AD online. This is to ensure no more than one server holds the same FSMO role.

Comment

So I finally got it to run. I ended up completely removing the other old server which wasn't actually doing anything. Then moving all the roles to the single server. The wierd thing about it was that I did this using the GUI and it seemed to worked. I don't remember how but I repadmin to run and I got no mistakes. I then ran dcdiag.exe and got a failure for know host something which I had found out was a missing schema manager. I then used ntdsutil to seize the role, out of a hunch I let it seized it for all the roles (seeing as there was only one DC in the network). I then ran adprep.exe /forestprep and it worked. I ran dcpromo on the new server ran beautifully. <br><br>Thanx for the help, I wouldn't have gotten this figured out.

<br><br><br>Is there a way to set this thread to solved?
              Last edited by whitethorn; 22nd October 2008, 00:09. Reason: thread = solved?

Comment

Originally posted by whitethorn View Post
                I don't understand why the adprep.exe /forestgroup didn't work.

Use the 2003 R2 comes with 2 versions of adprep.exe use the one on the second disk. I got stuck on that one before.

Comment

Working...
                X