Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Undo Reset computer account in Active directory

Guys,
    I got a call this morning from helpdesk to reset a password for one of the users as the user was unable to log in to the 2003 domain, i then accidentally reset the computer account instead of the user and this means the computer has to be rejoined to the domain. Now the worst part here is we dont remember the local admin password so we wont be able to join the pc back to the domain. This pc is used as a file server.
    Is there a way in active directory where we can undo what i just did ie reset computer account.

Thanks.

Re: Undo Reset computer account in Active directory

A search of the site provides plenty of suggestions to retrieve or reset the local administrator password. There's also a section of the forum dedicated to it.
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Try unplugging the machine from the network and using the domain admin account (or any admin account that has logged on before). I think that will work so you can reset the local admin password an rejoin the machine to the domain. I don't believe you can undo the reset (well not easily anyway).
      cheers
      Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

That may work depending on the cached logons policy. On the other hand there's a chance that the machine has already picked up that its account has been reset.
        Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Working...
        X