Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to mirror the harddrive holding win2003srv using RAID1?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to mirror the harddrive holding win2003srv using RAID1?

hello,
    i'm employed as systems engineer in an IT multi-services company & i am facing a problem.

we purchase an IBM x3650 database server
    with 146GB 15k 3.5in HS SAS HDD (Quantity=6)

we want to keep the O.S & Application on one drive & to use RAID1 for it (HDD QTY:2)
    & about the data, we will keep it in other drive & use RAID5 for it. (HDD QTY:4)

basicly, RAID5 is not a problem, but my problem is that i don't know how to use RAID1 to mirror the HDD holding the win2003srv.

should i shange the HDD type to dynamic?!!....i don't know what to do

thanx in advance

Re: How to mirror the harddrive holding win2003srv using RAID1?

Hi, have a read through this, it explains what u need to do

http://www.netadmintools.com/art439.html
    Please remember to award reputation points if you have received good advice.
    I do tend to think 'outside the box' so others may not always share the same views.

MCITP -W7,
    MCSA+Messaging, CCENT, ICND2 slowly getting around to.

Comment

You've not said if you want to use hardware RAID or software. Or if the server supports hardware RAID. Or what RAID controller it has.

Hardware RAID will most likely require you to reinstall the operating system.
      Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

uk_network : thank u for the link..it's usefull
        gforceindustries :we have IBM SAS HBA Controller...
        so i don't know what to use? hardware RAID or software RAID

Comment

Hardware RAID if the controller supports it.
          Gareth Howells

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

dear Sir,
            it's hardware RAID..

can u pls tell me how to configure it

Comment

The documentation for your RAID controller will help you.
              Gareth Howells

Comment

Sir
                with all respect....i won't ask for help from experts like u if the documentation helped.

Comment

We don't know the specifics of the RAID controller you are using. I would be very surprised if the documentation does not tell you what you need to do to create a RAID volume.

Generally, the way to do this is to reboot your server, and during boot up press whichever key is required to access the RAID controller BIOS. In there you will find the options to create new RAID volumes.
                  Gareth Howells

Comment

Be advised that you will loose all your data when creating a (hardware) raid.
                    A raid 1 is usually the same process as creating a raid 5. Only with 2 disks
                    Marcel
                    Technical Consultant
                    Netherlands
                    http://www.phetios.com
                    http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
                    "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
                    "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Originally posted by Dumber View Post
                      Be advised that you will loose all your data when creating a (hardware) raid.
                      Usually, although we do (very) occasionally see controllers that allow you to create a new RAID 1 from an existing disk and a new blank disk and preserve your data. Now we just need to see one that uses volume shadow copies to create the RAID without taking the server offline
                      Gareth Howells

Comment

thanx for eveyone..i will see what i can do..thank u for your help...

i'm new in this, but i won't stay "new" forever...
                        u all started as beginners but now u are experts....so my journey started & i won't feel shame to ask for support from you...
                        Last edited by rachad_zd; 20th October 2008, 12:54.

Comment

Originally posted by rachad_zd View Post
                          i'm new in this, but i won't stay "new" forever...
                          u all started as beginners but now u are experts....so my journey started & i won't feel shame to ask for support from you...
                          IMHO its also worth talking to your more experienced colleagues. I've never met an IT person who won't help out a junior who comes with a question, especially where they've already done a bit of research.
                          Tom Jones
                          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                          IT Trainer / Consultant
                          Ossian Ltd
                          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
                          X