Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer name

Dear users!

Is it possible that my client can get its computer name from any server just like DHCP server? wht

abt WINS/DNS server? Actually i want my client can get IP and Computer name from servers, How?

Re: Computer name

Hi, it's not possible to get a computer name via dhcp.
    Please remember to award reputation points if you have received good advice.
    I do tend to think 'outside the box' so others may not always share the same views.

MCITP -W7,
    MCSA+Messaging, CCENT, ICND2 slowly getting around to.

Comment

Maybe if we knew what client operating systems you were using. Or what server operating system. Or what DHCP server. Or what the configuration of your systems is. Presumably as you're posting in this forum, you are using Windows clients with Windows servers, using the Windows DHCP server, either with or without Active Directory.

Originally posted by uk_network View Post
      Hi, it's not possible to get a computer name via dhcp.
      Yes it is. If your DHCP server supports this feature, and your clients support this feature.
      Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

oh right, cool.
        I was talking about the windows dhcp console.
        Do u know how to do this then? I'll test it.
        I do tend to think 'outside the box' so others may not always share the same views.

MCITP -W7,

Comment

Originally posted by alitoday View Post
          Dear users!

Is it possible that my client can get its computer name from any server just like DHCP server? wht

abt WINS/DNS server? Actually i want my client can get IP and Computer name from servers, How?
          gee how come your Reputation is -172, what did you do wrong?

Comment

Originally posted by uk_network View Post
            I was talking about the windows dhcp console
            2000? 2003? 2003 R2? Service pack? Active directory? What client OS? Ie, all the other questions I asked in my initial reply.
            Gareth Howells

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

2003 server, Sp2, AD,DNS, DHCP usual setup, nothing else.

XPP Sp2 clients.

MCITP -W7,

Comment

Then no, it isn't. You have to set the hostname when you join the computer to the domain.
                Gareth Howells

Comment

My original reply was based on the forum the question was asked in.

And i've never seen anything before where u can get your computer name by dhcp, so i was just curious.

MCITP -W7,

Comment

Originally posted by Ali
                    Is it possible that my client can get its computer name from any server just like DHCP server
                    Just to go a bit, the SBS /connectcomputer Wizard can sort of do that. But I digress. Best option I have used is Ghost Console. Not only names the PC but joins the sucker to the Domain as well.

Ali, here are some excellent tutorials on how the "servers" you have mentioned above actually work.

DHCP - http://www.trainsignal.com/index.asp...WPROD&ProdID=9
                    DNS - http://www.trainsignal.com/index.asp...WPROD&ProdID=8
                    WINS - http://www.trainsignal.com/index.asp...PROD&ProdID=10

Train Signal's products are an Excellent One (like you signature) and you can view their excellent products here. http://www.trainsignal.com/index.asp...on=Custom&ID=8
                    1 1 was a racehorse.
                    2 2 was 1 2.
                    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

It's DHCP option 12 in Microsoft's DHCP server.
                      Gareth Howells

Comment

Good guess but it isnt supported on windows clients.

MCITP -W7,

Comment

Which I've already made clear earlier in the thread.
                          Gareth Howells

Comment

Working...
                          X