Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What does everyone think of this upgrade plan?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What does everyone think of this upgrade plan?

We have two Domain Controllers called London (first DC in the domain) and Paris (original names i know!). We want to upgrade these to Windows Server 2003 from 2000 but i would prefer fresh installs. Plus Paris when reinstalled will not be a DC as it is going to be used only for file storage. A new server will take its place. Let me know what you think to this plan... what have i missed out???

Upgrade Paris
    o Archive all user data
    o Copy local drives to backup
    o Remove GC role
    o DCPROMO Demote server
    o Format Server
    o Install Windows 2003 Server

Make New DC (Dublin)
    o DCPROMO Promote server (Setting up DNS)
    o Change DNS settings for all servers / clients to include this server (as primary?))
    o Make GC server

Upgrade London
    o Copy local drives to backup (including \APPS & \OPEN)
    o Move FMSO roles
    o Remove GC role
    o DCPROMO Demote server
    o Format Server
    o DCPROMO Promote server (Setting up DNS)
    o Make GC server

Will I achieve what i have set out in a safe fashion?
    Server 2000 MCP
    Development: ASP, ASP.Net, PHP, VB, VB.Net, MySQL, MSSQL - Check out my blog http://tonyyeb.blogspot.com

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

I think its total pants.

lol

----

It doesn't sound too bad, but honestly I didn't read the whole thing I replied just to use your phrase.
    Andrew

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Hi Tony,

I'm missing a schema upgrade somewhere. The wizard will probably do it for you, but I like to do it explicitly. Also, you don't have to remove the GC before you demote.

Sounds fine otherwise!

Comment

Just one question,

If Paris and London are both GC's, where is the Inf Master FSMO role ?
        * Shamelessly mentioning "Don't forget to add reputation!"

Comment

Originally posted by ahinson
          I think its total pants.

lol

----

It doesn't sound too bad, but honestly I didn't read the whole thing I replied just to use your phrase.
          Lol! Like it!

Originally posted by topper
          If Paris and London are both GC's, where is the Inf Master FSMO role ?
          They are on London. I did say in the plan move FMSO roles (which would be to new server).
          Server 2000 MCP
          Development: ASP, ASP.Net, PHP, VB, VB.Net, MySQL, MSSQL - Check out my blog http://tonyyeb.blogspot.com

Comment

It's just as it's not recommended to have Inf Master and GC on same server.
            * Shamelessly mentioning "Don't forget to add reputation!"

Comment

Originally posted by topper
              It's just as it's not recommended to have Inf Master and GC on same server.
              Fortunately, in a single domain forest the placement of the IM is irrelevant since it has nothing to do. If ALL DC's in the domain are GC as well then the IM also has nothing to do either.

Comment

Thanks for all the comments guys. Very much appreciated. Quick question about the schema upgrade. Where will that come in my plan? When the first Windows Server 2003 machine is DCPROMO'd (Dublin)? Will this temporarily upgrade the schema on the other 2000 box (London) - until it is demoted of course.

Many thanks again
                Server 2000 MCP

Comment

I would do the schema upgrade as the very first thing. After verification, go ahead with the rest of the plan.

Comment

So update the schema with both Windows 2000 servers in place? Excellent. I assume there is a prog or application for this (sorry being lazy!)
                    Server 2000 MCP

Comment

Not only a tool, but instructions as well. http://www.petri.com/windows_2003_adprep.htm
                      1 1 was a racehorse.
                      2 2 was 1 2.
                      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Of course.... i should have known that the man himself had done some quality info on the subject!

Quick question again on this... we upgraded to Exchange 2003 and this needed /forest prep and /domain prep... do we still need to do the schema upgrade or it is done in the exchange one??

Thanks guys
                        Server 2000 MCP

Comment

Good question that!

I believe you have to do it again.. It would make sense to, as Exchange domainprep only deals with the parts of the schema it needs...

Need a second opinion on this though... Anyone?
                          UK Newbie!

Comment

The two schema updates are unrelated. You need both!

Comment

So i should be able to do Win 2k3 without having to do Exch 2k3 again?

Thanks
                              Server 2000 MCP

Comment

Working...
                              X