Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• server 2003 and lost ownership on home folders

Hi,

I have some unusual problems on mine windows 2003 server as well as citrix which looks like all connected to one problem.

I have redirection for users which redirects through group policy "My document", Desktop" and "Application data" folders to our file server.
    1.When user logs he losses his ownership and every time I have to reapply it which is quite annoying
    a. just to add to this I have now additional file server to which I am migrating users from the old one , I do robocopy tool as follows, robocopy /copyall /E \\server1\user\test \\server2\user\test
    2. some users using Citrix only (presentation server4 with redirection as well) where same scenario happens all over again
    3. also related to citrix and outlook 2003 which occasionally doesn't open user's mailbox but only personal folders which we don't use here at all

I really hope somebody can point me to the right directions because I am lost in the woods ....

Thank you very much for your help

Re: server 2003 and lost ownership on home folders

Hi guys,

any ides, something, anything ??? ;-(

Comment

With regards to lost ownership, is the mapping being effected? Do you happen to have a NAS unit? In the past, and hopefully this is relevant to your issue, if not, my apologies, I have removed the NTFS permission for the user on their Shared folder or profile in your case and reapplied and then inherited it down. I had user areas that would loose it mappings and after doing that the problem was resolved. However, can take a while.

If you have a few you can test this with, there is always the possibility of looking at a CACLS scripting or similar to reset in bulk.

Comment

Hi,

thanks for your reply.

No i don't have NAS. I am trying to understand how it possible for ownership to disappear !!!. I have never had it before , has to be some bug

Comment

Sounds like it. I have had Home folders not mapping for users where I reset NTFS permissions but never lost Ownership, unless something has happened at the Parent folder level and inheited down.

Comment

Hi Virtual,

thank you again for your replies.

Can you please post your actual permissions on root home folder as well as on actual home folder for some users but do not disclose username . I may missing something

Thanks again

Comment

Sorry that I have just replied.

Usually, the Parent folder will be permisisons such as:

Manager's Group
              Administrators
              Local administrators
              system (usually already there by default)

I would ensure Everyone or Authenticated Users permission is not there.

I would also ensure that only the Domain admins and System have the Full Control permission. The managers may have modify or read only depending on requirements. You may have various Top Level depending on departments

Unser this would be each 'user', (again, depending on requirements)

The Parent will be set to push all its permissions down.

Profiles can then be pre-created and users can be given an explicit permission on the folder. Their AD user account properties I believe automatically creates a folder as well, if you wish to use that process though I believe it gives the user Full Control when they need only Modify permission.

I'm sure you have already done this. Say for example I decided to force the Parent permissions down after explicitly setting them on folders beow, there is the potentialfor some folder permissions to be wiped.

Comment

Working...
              X