Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disk Imaging

Greetings,
    I want to create disk images of my windows 2003 server. I want to use this for restore purposes in the event of disk failure, or other hardware failure.

Looking for software recommendations to do the disk imaging.

thanks.

Re: Disk Imaging

Hi, acronis enterprise server/workstation is pretty good.
    Please remember to award reputation points if you have received good advice.
    I do tend to think 'outside the box' so others may not always share the same views.

MCITP -W7,
    MCSA+Messaging, CCENT, ICND2 slowly getting around to.

Comment

Hi there,

G4U is open source very very good software, i myself use it for imaging and so

also if you have system on mirrored drive , just buy one hardrive plug it into the server and the one that was there before keep it as recovery drive. in this case no restore , drives ets is needed

enjoy

Comment

Well,
        3 drives in server.

C drive is not mirrored.
        E drive (data) is mirrored to another drive.

Thought I would image the C drive for safety, as I have an app installed that takes quite some configuration to get running.

Comment

Originally posted by ksukat View Post
          Greetings,
          I want to create disk images of my windows 2003 server. I want to use this for restore purposes in the event of disk failure, or other hardware failure.

Looking for software recommendations to do the disk imaging.

thanks.
          You also need to consider the Kerebos password lifetime and (what is the one that changes every 30 days? - sorry, brain has gone more mushy than usual.....medication has kicked in) so if you restore the image after this time period your clients will not talk to the server.
          1 1 was a racehorse.
          2 2 was 1 2.
          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
            You also need to consider the Kerebos password lifetime and (what is the one that changes every 30 days?
            Computer account?

What kind of server do you want to image? What is his role?
            Marcel
            Technical Consultant
            Netherlands
            http://www.phetios.com
            http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
            "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
            "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

I want to image a windows 2003 R2 Server that acts as the AD primary server.
              I want to image a windows 2003 R2 database server. I want to image a windows 2003 utility server.

thanks.

Comment

I would go for a regular backup.
                Marcel
                Technical Consultant
                Netherlands
                http://www.phetios.com
                http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
                "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
                "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Backup Exec System Recovery does this job. It's designed for servers where data is changing constantly. It can create images without taking the server offline.
                  Please remember to leave positive reputation points (The Ying Yang Icon) if someone helps you.

Comment

Backup Exec is great (because the server can stay on-line) but very expensive. I use Acronis True-image Home version, which I got by upgrading from the free version which ships with some hard drives- is it Maxtor? Anyway, it cost $29 dollars and it works on everything I've tried.

Comment

Originally posted by pksupport View Post
                      Backup Exec is great (because the server can stay on-line) but very expensive. I use Acronis True-image Home version, which I got by upgrading from the free version which ships with some hard drives- is it Maxtor? Anyway, it cost $29 dollars and it works on everything I've tried.

I have used this application myself and love it. I'm new to server administration and planning on doing the same thing you are planning. In my case I purchased backup exec which i never used and have to learn. But I totally agree that Acronis will do the job. It also allows you to create full /
                      incremental / detrimental the image without taking down the server. The Recovery CD utility works like a charm too... very user friedly and supports USB.
                      CompTIA A+, CompTIA N+, MS Windows 2000, MS Windows XP

Pursuing: CompTIA Security+, Server 2003

Comment

I use Acronis True-image Home version
                        Check the EULA to ensure that the licence for the Home edition of Acronis allows you to use it commercially. While it may well work with your servers, that doesn't necessarily mean it is legal for do so.
                        Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Backup Exec is great (because the server can stay on-line) but very expensive.
                          Last I looked, BackupExec was a backup product, not an imaging product... there are fundamental differences.

Tom
                          For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Originally posted by Stonelaughter View Post
                            Last I looked, BackupExec was a backup product, not an imaging product... there are fundamental differences.
                            Then click the link I provided and see that there are more than one type of Backup Exec program available.
                            Please remember to leave positive reputation points (The Ying Yang Icon) if someone helps you.

Comment

Done some reading and it appears that Backup Exec is not only $$$ but to do backup a server\machine you need to install windows first and then Exec back on the machine in order to restore all the data.. I don't think that's what you are looking for - I'm not . I purchased the backup exec myself for backing up my fileserver which works very well but I was hoping it would be images as well....

I'm currently looking at Norton Ghost Backup for my disk imaging this is a very well know backup solution. I have use it in the past to image and restore images from disk-to-disk and image-to-disk (IDE, USB and Network). According to the documentation it allows hotdisk imaging which can create a image of a life server. VERY COST EFFECTIVE TOO!!!
                              CompTIA A+, CompTIA N+, MS Windows 2000, MS Windows XP

Pursuing: CompTIA Security+, Server 2003

Comment

Working...
                              X