X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange dhcp issue

I have strange DHCP isue with clients who have leases like :

649C173F.mydomain.local and similar

All client computers have dynamic IP addresses but I know their names and they are registered in AD. Printers also have static IP addresess. Does anyone have the idea abotu this strange problem???

Re: Strange dhcp issue

Could there be another DHCP server on the network somewhere?

When you say the printers have static addresses, are they actually *static* addresses, or have you set up reservations in DHCP? Try reserving IP addresses for your workstatons and see if that makes a difference. Is it just the hostname or the domain name as well that is odd?
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

These are domain names :

strangenumber.mydomain.local

Printers do have static IP adreses which are in exclusion range.

I've just deleted these strange leases. We'll see what will hapen, because our workers are now out, and I hope that I will see which machines are causing troubles.

Comment

Most of client computers are turned off and nothing. Strange leases do not come...

Comment

Maybe someone who took their own client with them?
          Marcel
          Technical Consultant
          Netherlands
          http://www.phetios.com
          http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
          "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
          "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

I haven't quite understand you?

What do you mean by that?

Comment

Maybe someone was using their own laptop, that they have now taken away with them.
              Gareth Howells

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Originally posted by bogi500 View Post
                I have strange DHCP isue with clients who have leases like :

649C173F.mydomain.local and similar

All client computers have dynamic IP addresses but I know their names and they are registered in AD. Printers also have static IP addresess. Does anyone have the idea abotu this strange problem???
                that is the name of the printer?
                it is nothing to do with DHCP, it just registers it's name, regardless if it is Static or not.
                try eliminating in the DNS the Unsecured Updates and switch it to "Secure Updates Only"
                and see if it changes anything, if not then it is not the Printers it is a client that is connected to the domain.
                any way check what IP that record points to and try to identify it in the DHCP logs or look at your network Switches , find the port and then find the Network outlet in the wall,
                and your got your answer.
                Last edited by Akila; 16th October 2008, 17:26.

Comment

Do you have a VOIP phone system?

I've seen these types of addresses at client sites with VOIP systems. The phones use DHCP to get their IP address.

Comment

Yes, we do have AVAYA IP phones and media gateway switch (on which our servers are connected too), but as far as I can remember they have static IP addresses. Also there are phones IP phones from another company in our group.

There were some laptops from our system integrators, but they have regular names.

I will update You tomorrow morning when I get to work.
                    Thank You for replies

Comment

These strange numbers are still here... I hope that they are from VoIP phones, but they shouldnt be...

I hope that this is not dangerous, because I don't see any other clent maschines except ours.

Comment

Try something like Angry IP Scanner and see if it picks up any foreign clients on the network.
                        Gareth Howells

Comment

I did it. I have some 4 unknow clients on the network. O ne of them is this strange IP address. probably, other wuold be also, because i always delete their leases.

Could they be an IP phones or not?

Comment

Unplug the phones one at a time and see what disappears off the network.
                            Gareth Howells

Comment

Heheh, I will surely do it I hope that users will not go nuts...

It is strange when they go home, there is not any activity although their phones are on and computers are off.

Comment

Working...
                              X