print server

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• print server

Our company has grown significantly recently and adding printers seperatly for each user is getting painful. Is there a way to add network printers automatically? Maybe through a login script or Group Policy? We have all Win XP SP2 machines and Win 2k SP4 servers.
    Thank you

Re: print server

Using Server 2003 you can publish shared printers in the directory, which makes them automatically available to clients. I don't know if this is available in 2000 though. The problem with doing this is that everyone gets every printer.

If you upgrade to Server 2003 R2, you can control this 'properly' using Group Policy. Until then, download con2prt.exe from Microsoft, put it in NETLOGON and create logon scripts in a GPO which execute con2prt to setup printer connections. You can either do this on a per-user basis, or by using GP loopback processing, on a per-machine basis.
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

do you have any sample script for this

Comment

The syntax is very simple. Save the executable to \\server\netlogon\con2prt.exe

You want to connect to two printers, a general purpose laser called printer and a more expensive colour printer called colour both shared from server. Because of the cost of printing to the colour printer you want the general purpose printer to be the default. Your batch script would look like this:

' Delete all existing connections to network printers
        ' Does not affect local printers
        \\server\netlogon\con2prt.exe /f

' Connect to the general purpose printer and set it as default
        \\server\netlogon\con2prt.exe /cd \\server\printer

'Connect to the colour printer, do not set as default
        \\server\netlogon\con2prt.exe /c \\server\colour

That's it. The command line arguements for con2prt are:

/h or /? - display help
        /f - remove existing connections to shared printers without removing locally installed printers, such as a USB printer or a PDF writer
        /c \\servername\sharename - connect to the printer 'sharename' on 'servername'
        /cd \\servername\sharename - connect to the printer 'sharename' on 'servername' and set this as the default printer
        Gareth Howells

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Just to confirm.

In Windows 2000 you can also publish printers in AD.
          [Powershell]
          Start-DayDream
          Set-Location Malibu Beach
          Get-Drink
          Lay-Back
          Start-Sleep
          Wake-Up!
          Resume-Service
          Write-Warning
          [/Powershell]

BLOG: Therealshrimp.blogspot.com

Comment

Good to know, thanks for checking . Publishing shared printers is convenient, but before doing so you should consider the implications. For example, if you have printers in sensitive areas, such as Accounts or the general manager's office, you won't want everyone to have access to those.
            Gareth Howells

Comment

Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post
              Good to know, thanks for checking . Publishing shared printers is convenient, but before doing so you should consider the implications. For example, if you have printers in sensitive areas, such as Accounts or the general manager's office, you won't want everyone to have access to those.
              Printer Permissions should take care of those implications.

Ta
              Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Yes, you can prevent somebody from sending a print job to the printer. But, the printer will still appear in the list on their workstation, which means you'll get users complaining about these error messages they get when they try to print. And as we all know, the last thing a user should be doing is talking to a sysadmin.
                Last edited by gforceindustries; 19th October 2008, 01:30.
                Gareth Howells

Comment

thanks i had done the installation on every single system

Comment

Working...
                  X