Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Don't be tight and use SATA! SCSI all the way!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don't be tight and use SATA! SCSI all the way!

Hello,

I've got a 2k3 file server that has 4 SATA's in RAID 0+1 (i didn't build it). Even though the SATA's are server edition seagates the second drive 5 months has failed. The problem is I can't identify which one?!? I get the following event log:

The description for Event ID ( 11 ) in Source ( nvraid ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event:

Just before the system crashes. All drives say "healthy" in RAID NVIDIA RAID management console. I know this is a faulty drive because it's happened before only last time I was lucky enough for the RAID management to eventually say which drive has failed. This time, nothing!

What shall I do? This system stays up for about 48 hours and crashes.

I will order a proper server with SCSI and migrate across but I due to where I am (remote part of Oz) I need to get this unit stable now.

Re: Don't be tight and use SATA! SCSI all the way!

Do you have any spare drives you could swap in to try to identify which has a fault? I assume you've checked the connections, tried swapping cables, tested PSU output etc. Is it a brand name server? Under warranty?
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post
      Do you have any spare drives you could swap in to try to identify which has a fault? I assume you've checked the connections, tried swapping cables, tested PSU output etc. Is it a brand name server? Under warranty?
      Thanks for you quick reply.

I have re-seated all cables.

PSU output appears to be within good values according to BIOS.

The server is about a year old. White box so no warranty.

The chipset is a Nvidia MPC55 on a Tyan S2927

I will get a spare drive tomorrow but due to the server staying stable for about two days it could take over a week.

Comment

Try replacing the cables, just in case. Blast of compressed air in the sockets to clear out any dust wouldn't hurt either.

The BIOS may report that the power supplied on the motherboard may be fine, but its worth getting yourself a PSU tester (they're very affordable) and checking the power being supplied the drives. Is it a branded or generic PSU? This is definately something you don't want to cheap out on.

What sort of temperature are the drives operating at?

Operating system, drivers, BIOS and firmwares all up to date?
        Gareth Howells

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Try replacing the cables, just in case. Blast of compressed air in the sockets to clear out any dust wouldn't hurt either.

The BIOS may report that the power supplied on the motherboard may be fine, but its worth getting yourself a PSU tester (they're very affordable) and checking the power being supplied the drives. Is it a branded or generic PSU? This is definately something you don't want to cheap out on.

What sort of temperature are the drives operating at?

Operating system, drivers, BIOS and firmwares all up to date?
          I will change the cables tomo like you say.

The drives are running nice and cool, fans are good.

I have update Nforce drivers today so we'll see how that goes in time. There doesn't appear to be any firmware updates that i've found.

The PSU is a high quality one (i think), not sure what brand but it's a 500w and seems of quality build.

On one boot I fired her up and walked away but just as I left the room I heard a clunk, sounded like all drives parking/resetting at once. Walked back in and it way stuck on the scrolling Server 2003 splash screen. It's fired up OK almost ever other time.

Comment

If it's a brand name PSU, the brand name will be on the label that says 500W. Just a single PSU in there is it? Is it behind a UPS, which would filter out any spikes?

You may have a boot CD for the RAID controller which includes a diagnostic, or you may be able to find a diagnostic for the drives...
            Gareth Howells

Comment

If it's a brand name PSU, the brand name will be on the label that says 500W. Just a single PSU in there is it? Is it behind a UPS, which would filter out any spikes?

You may have a boot CD for the RAID controller which includes a diagnostic, or you may be able to find a diagnostic for the drives...

Seagate diags is good idea. I will do that tomorrow.

Comment

Working...
              X