How do I backup my file server?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I backup my file server?

We're using Commvault to backup servers. I have one server which is a Win2K3 file-server with NTFS security shares, files and printers.

If I backup the folder structure, I should get the NTFS permissions (share details, user rights, etc) but what do I need to do to backup the printers? Will the System state take care of this or do I have to backup the boot partition in whole (the C-drive)? Thanks.
    |
    +-- JDMils
    |
    +-- Regional Systems Engineer, DotNet programmer & Jack of all trades
    |

Re: How do I backup my file server?

I believe when you backup the system state you should be fine. But why aren't you testing it?
    Other way is use something like print migrator and backup that file.
    Marcel
    Technical Consultant
    Netherlands
    http://www.phetios.com
    http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
    "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
    "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

We currently use Print Migrator. Whatever you use though, Dumber's point remains valid. If you don't test your backups, then how do you know that you actually have backups.

Google seemed to offer me plenty of ideas...
      Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

As a system administration teacher once told me: "Your backups are only as good as your backups!" I've heard that saying echo through my head as I check the backups and blithely think that if the backup software status light stays green everything is okay. Test them, test them, test them and then test them again. Either that or go buy a broom because you'll be sweeping the floors soon.
        Wesley David
        LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
        -------------------------------
        Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
        Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
        Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
        Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

Working...
        X