Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yet another dns question

Greetings,
    Have DNS running on my AD server. It has a forward lookup zone defined for the AD (mycompany.local). I want it to handle mycompany.com and mycompany2.com.

How do I accomplish this ? Do I just create a new zone under the Forward Lookup Zone in the DNS snap in?

Thanks for any tips.

-Darryl

Re: Yet another dns question

Can I ask why you want to do this? Typically you control these via your registrar. Which is the best place for them.
    Please remember to leave positive reputation points (The Ying Yang Icon) if someone helps you.

Comment

Yes, you can just create a new primary zone (if you have the authority to control the zone, and the SOA is delegated to your server in the domain record at the registrar).

While the resolvers (two or more) for any given domain/zone are defined in the domain registrar record, the zone authority records are normally not maintained at the registrar unless the registrar (like GoDaddy.com, for example) offers DNS management as a value-added service.

Comment

Some registrars do offer DNS control, others such as Enom work on the basis that you buy domains from them through another party, who provides the DNS for you. Contact whoever you bought the domain name from to ask for their advice.
        Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Originally posted by Ville View Post
          Yes, you can just create a new primary zone (if you have the authority to control the zone, and the SOA is delegated to your server in the domain record at the registrar).

While the resolvers (two or more) for any given domain/zone are defined in the domain registrar record, the zone authority records are normally not maintained at the registrar unless the registrar (like GoDaddy.com, for example) offers DNS management as a value-added service.
          The problem with this Method/Approach, is if users within the company would want to access resources of "mycompany.com" and "mycompany2.com" on the Internet, they would fail, since the DC/DNS has the zone, so it would never froward the DNS requests to the ISP.
          Assuming that "mycompany.com" and "mycompany2.com" are valid name spaces in the Internet

Comment

Naturally you would have to add records to the zone to enable www.company.com (for example) to be accessible.
            Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

sorry,
              Let me clarify. This is internal only. Will not be accessed from the real internet. So web-head developers want to have domains like www.ourproduct.com. For development, they will use www.ourproduct.local. Our AD DNS is mycompany.local, so I wanted to add ourproduct.local to the dns server so test users in the company can go to www.ourproduct.local and review the developers work without having to modify their hosts file.

Thanks,
              Darryl

Comment

Then add a Primary Zone in your DNS forward lookup zones called "ourproduct.local" and under that zone add whatever records you like.

eg. server1.ourproduct.local
                Last edited by Akila; 15th October 2008, 14:46.

Comment

Working...
                X