NtBackup not backing up some folders - error in log

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NtBackup not backing up some folders - error in log

I have a Windows 2003 backup server with a RAID subsystem that I run NtBackup batch files on to backup our Windows 2003 server files. I am having a problem backing up a web server in our DMZ. The web server has more than 40,000 files, but when I run the scheduled batch file from the backup server to backup the web server files to its RAID hard drives, the backup ends without backing up all of the files in a couple of the folders that have more than 15,000 files each. The web servers used to backup without an issue, but now itís having problems backing up. These are the errors from the NtBackup log.

Could not access portions of directory \\192.168.100.55\D$\files\ppol
    You may not have permission to open the file, or the directory may be missing or damaged.
    Please contact the owner or administrator.

Could not access portions of directory \\192.168.100.55\E$\files\eeob
    You may not have permission to open the file, or the directory may be missing or damaged.
    Please contact the owner or administrator.

I normally run the backup with a user with backup operator rights, but have tried running it giving the user administrator rights and it returns with the same results.

Re: NtBackup not backing up some folders - error in log

I would start by checking the permissions on the folder.

What are they???

Comment

The permissions allow all for admins and read/write for users. I tried the backup using administrator rights, but it still only backs up some files, but not all in each of these folders shown in the error messages. Whatís weird is that sometimes the full backup will be 10GB or 7GB, or 12GB, or 5GB. Not the full size it should be, but it seems to be backing up more or less files, but its not consistent.

Comment

Given the share names of D$ and E$ I'm assuming your web servers are running Windows Server. Are you able to backup the directories in question using NTBackup *locally* on those servers?

Can you access the directories that you are trying to backup over the network using Windows Explorer, as the user that the backups run as?

Anything in the event logs on either server?
        Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Yes, I can do a small full backup locally on the web server with no problems, but I donít have space to test the entire full backup locally. I can also access the files from another server with the backup user's credentials. I have also tried to backup from the backup server using admin credentials with the same results.

Comment

Try doing a chkdsk /f on the drives just in case you maybe have a little problem with that.

What happens if you try to copy them oevr the network to another location then back them up??

How much free space do you have left on the server??

Comment

Event logs?
              Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Did u check whether you were able to copy the files over network...

It could be because some files may be opened state when you take backup...

Regards
                JC

Comment

Working...
                X