• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rebuild network 1 server and 5 workstation

Hello
    i have 4 workstation with xp, and 1 vista ultimate
    one server with 2 giga mem, 2 disk with 30 giga scsi
    my question:
    how to rebuild this server to install the operating system with active directory etc....
    as domain controler. or just virtual pc to install
    i need step by step direction
    thanks

Re: rebuild network 1 server and 5 workstation

Dell, you did not say what OS are you going to install on your server. Is it 2003, or will it be 2008? And it's not quite clear what are you trying to do... What's VirtualPC doing here ?!?
    There are a lot of sources here on Petri.co.il that describe how to install Active Directory on a server (i.e., for 2003). Not to talk about the whole Web... A simple search will give you anything you want. There's no need for a thread dedicated to this...
    I am not certain I understand what you want to do, but given the fact you have 4 XP and 1 Vista Ultimate workstation, there should be no problem creating a domain and adding those to it. Just be sure the XP is Professional ! XP Home cannot be part of a domain (but you know that, I'm sure).
    What will the server do, beside being a DC? Will it be a DHCP/File Server/Print Server/IIS? I am not sure 2x30GB disks will be enough... Are they going to be mirrored? And what's 30GB anyway? Are they IDE?

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    -

Comment

Originally posted by sorinso View Post
      Are they IDE?
      SCSI was specified.
      Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post
        SCSI was specified.
        Indeed. But SCSI disks are 36GB, not 30 ... So, where's the mistake?

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
        -

Comment

Google suggests that 30GB SCSI disks exist.
          Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post
            Google suggests that 30GB SCSI disks exist.
            Mind posting the link? I am always eager to learn things I didn't know...

Sorin Solomon

-

Comment

Working...
            X