Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DHCP DNS Scope option

Hey guys,

I'm trying to remove some DC's running 2000 server. We have a few servers running 2003, and one of them is currently the DHCP and DNS server. I have configured the DNS Server scope option on the DHCP Server to point to 10.5.1.10 (the 2003 DNS Server). However, on DHCP client machines, I am still seeing 10.5.1.9 (2000 DC I am trying to get rid of, currently has DNS service disabled) as well as 10.5.1.10. Where is this 10.5.1.9 coming from? Is the DNS Server scope option overridden by something else?

Also, does anyone have any tips or best practices for removing windows server 2000 dc's from your domain? dcdiag shows everything to be fine, but I just want to make sure I don't lose any information (especially of the active directory type) in removing them.

Thanks for your time.

Re: DHCP DNS Scope option

Hi, on the dhcp clients try doing ipconfig/release ipconfig/renew then they should get a new ip address from your functioning dhcp server. also check if the old ones have static ip assignments. Also in the dhcp console check through the server options as well as the scope options.
    and for the old dc you can run dcpromo to demote it. But first make sure replication has happened to the new 2k3 dc's.
    Last edited by uk_network; 11th October 2008, 17:20.
    Please remember to award reputation points if you have received good advice.
    I do tend to think 'outside the box' so others may not always share the same views.

MCITP -W7,
    MCSA+Messaging, CCENT, ICND2 slowly getting around to.

Comment

Sorry, I should have mentioned - i have released/renewed and the same thing occurs. The clients do not have static ip's. Server options is correctly configured as well.

Comment

You could try a program called dhcpexplorer.exe, a quick google hunt will find it for u.
        It will show you the dhcp data sent from your dhcp server.
        Last edited by uk_network; 11th October 2008, 18:26.
        I do tend to think 'outside the box' so others may not always share the same views.

MCITP -W7,

Comment

So I checked out that program you referred to - pretty cool. It confirmed that my DHCP server is handing out the correct information. It was a problem on the client side - IP's were dynamically assigned but DNS Servers were static. D'oh! I can't believe I've been messing with this on and off for weeks and didn't catch that. Shows what happens when you make assumptions. Anyways, thanks for the help. That is a neat utiltity.

Comment

Good stuff.

MCITP -W7,

Comment

Working...
            X