Lamer's DNS question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lamer's DNS question

I'm trying to cleanup our DNS but would like clarification on a few items. I've looked through prior posts and KBs but am not seeing the obvious--or I'm not understanding the obvious.

Our environment has no child domains but we have a trust with an NT domain we are retiring. All DCs are 2003 and DNS is AD-integrated zone with Server 1 and 2 as the "primary" and "secondary". Some of the issues we are seeing: broken delegation (via net diag) and slow logins (primarily at Site C).

We have the following config:
    Site A: DC/DNS Server1 and Server 2
    Site B: DC/DNS Server3 and Server 4
    Site C: DC Server 5 (no DNS)

Server 1 ip settings (suffix mydomain.com)
    server 1
    server 2
    server 3
    server 4

Server 2 ip settings (suffix mydomain.com)
    server 2
    server 1
    server 3
    server 4

Server 3 ip settings (suffix mydomain.com)
    server 3
    server 4
    server 1
    server 2

Server 4 ip settings (suffix mydomain.com)
    server 4
    server 3
    server 1
    server 2

Server 5 ip settings (suffix mydomain.com and nt_domain.com) No DNS on this DC
    server 1
    server 2
    server 3
    server 4

Possible solutions:
    --run netdiag /fix
    --dnslint? If so--any suggestions on this tool? I have never used it.
    --find a less stressful job

Any help would be very appreciated.

Re: Lamer's DNS question

Site C is defined in Sites & Services?

Comment

I don't understand your list... can you try to explain another way what your DNS setup is?

Site C - what is the link speed? I'm guessing that as it has no local DNS then yes, you WILL get slow logins.

Tom
      For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Everything is defined in Sites & services with applicable subnets.

Site links are SiteA-SiteB, SiteA-SiteC, and SiteB-SiteC. Connections are all T3. Site A is the datacenter and site B is the DR datacenter with development.

We also discovered that someone had installed DNS on a couple of member servers and we have removed those (they are not domain controllers and, well, someone was confused).

DNS configured on 4 of our 5 domain controllers and is AD integrated with secure updates only. Each DNS server points to itself with the other DNS servers listed. Example, Site A, server 1 DNS settings are:
        10.10.10.10 (primary)
        10.10.10.11 (secondary)

Site B, server 3 settings
        10.10.20.10 (primary)
        10.10.20.11 (secondary)

Site C, server 5 settings (10.10.30.10)
        10.10.10.10 (primary)
        10.10.10.11 (secondary)
        172.26.9.225 (NT Domain DNS settings) <--I think this should be removed. jmho.

Should DNS be on the Site C's domain controller? Would that help with the slow logins? I think we have more than one DNS issue as our net diag revealed broken delegation.

Error: DNS server: server1.dc.int. IP:10.10.10.10 [Broken delegation]
        Error: DNS server: server2.dc.int. IP:10.10.10.11 [Broken delegation]
        Error: DNS server: server3.dc.int. IP:10.10.20.10 [Broken delegation]
        Error: DNS server: server4.dc.int. IP:10.10.20.11 [Broken delegation]

and....

DNS server: 10.10.10.10 (server1.dc.int.)
        6 test failures on this DNS server
        This is a valid DNS server.
        Name resolution is funtional. _ldap._tcp SRV record for the forest root domain is registered
        Delegation is broken for the domain dc.int.dc.int. on the DNS server 10.10.10.10
        [Error details: 9003 (Type: Win32 - Description: DNS name does not exist.) - Delegation is broken for the domain dc.int.dc.int. on the DNS server 10.209.69.18]

Comment

For starters install DNS on server5 and remove 172.26.9.225 from its list of DNS servers. Then add a Conditional Forwarder for nt_domain.com to 172.26.9.225.

As for delegation "dc.int.dc.int" !? Can you take a screenshot of your DNS console with all the subdomains expanded?

Comment

No subdomains...just one domain. Could the Reverse lookups be a problem?
            Attached Files

Comment

Thought I'd update that I figured out this issue. And it was a lame issue. If only I had drilled down a bit further I would have seen the obvious.

In the end, somone had misconfigured an alias in DNS. They had created the alias as server.dc.int (giving it a FQDN of server.dc.int.dc.int) which created the delegated folders. Once I deleted that delegation, everything was fine. They had also misconfigured a few others aliases so I was able to correct those, too.

Thank you to all who tried to help!

Comment

thanks for the Update

Comment

Working...
                X