Configuring Isolate Users Using Active Directory Mode

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Configuring Isolate Users Using Active Directory Mode

Hi to everyone, since I'm new here...

I need to ask a question about an FTP server,
    I have created an FTP server using the option to Isolate Users using active directory.
    The thing is that in this case, home directory for every ftp user is created automatically if you enable the specific option in user's profile from the Active Directory console (according to Microsoft).
    But even after creating the ftp server I see no relative option so that I can assign anything to users profiles. The ftp server is a member of my domain, but NOT a domain controller.

So, actually, my question is this:
    Do I have to set the FTP server on the Domain Controller in order for the relative options (configure ftp home dirs for users) to appear?
    Or I'm just doing something wrong??
    P.S.: I'm doing this with Windows Server 2003 - AD is also 2003

Thanks in advance..
    Greetings from Greece,
    Last edited by ChriZathens; 9th October 2008, 14:42. Reason: Added O/S

Re: Configuring Isolate Users Using Active Directory Mode

Nobody knows?

Presumably you're using IIS as your FTP server?

I would recommend against setting it up on a domain controller, as this will mean that all of your FTP users accounts are also domain user accounts.
      Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Hi, if you follow this guide and create the users file under the domain name under the ftproot\domainname\username and have normal Isolation mode choose then when the users access the ftp server they will be dropped into their user directory.
        Please remember to award reputation points if you have received good advice.
        I do tend to think 'outside the box' so others may not always share the same views.

MCITP -W7,
        MCSA+Messaging, CCENT, ICND2 slowly getting around to.

I do not know what you have been reading, but don't quit get what you are trying to achive. The FTP server option is a part of IIS. With FTP you can provide access to data, which user can access using the FTP protocol. You can set ways of authentication, and one of these is Windows Integrated authentication.
          Configuring a home drive in the user object will not create a FTP share to that folder.
          Set-Location Malibu Beach