Recreate domain admin local profile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recreate domain admin local profile

Tough question for me... maybe not you folks.
    2003 Server SP2, which is the DC.
    Symantec AV client 10.1 started throwing up Tamper Protection alerts for a number of Backup Exec 11d dll's when attempting to launch the application.
    (Nice that symantec would disable it's 'brother' software)
    Initially I made disabled Tamper Protection and I noticed it renabled itself.
    Disabled it again and it stuck. But the problem still persisted and the alerts were still being thrown up.
    Uninstalled Symantec AV client and restarted.
    Now my errors are different. After looking them up on Symantec page I've discovered that if I now launch Backup Exec with the Run As command and use a different domain admin account Backup Exec opens fine. It's been running nightly backups as scheduled. Symantec states that launching the interface is known problem and the work around is the Run As...

My quesiton:
    Can I delete the local profile for my domain admin account? Going through System Properties > Advanced > User Profiles I can NOT...
    I have also tried to logging in as a different admin account and renaming the user profile folder, permissions denied.
    I tried from a different server with the account in question, remotely connected to the server and attempted to renamed the user folder. Windows would not let me rename it because it was a system folder.

ideas?

Re: Recreate domain admin local profile

As a DC has no local SAM you can't log in as a local admin. You'll have to log on as another user that has the "log on locally" user right on the DC and then go to System Properties... Advanced...User Profiles...Settings and delete the profile in question.

Comment

Surely you can log on as a different domain admin and delete the problem profile -- been a long time since I've done it, but I dont remember any problems going through My Computer-Properties-Advanced-User Settings

(Sorry, Joe, what you said!)
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd
      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by 1832pro View Post
        I have also tried to logging in as a different admin account and renaming the user profile folder, permissions denied.
        Try rebooting as there may still be links into that profile, if that fails maybe your services run under that account? Maybe try disabling the services, rebooting and deleting? Or setting up a different service account?
        cheers
        Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Andy, I'll try your advice tonight.

Ossian and Joe,
          I have tried both of your suggestions. The standard Administrator account was disabled and we created a new domain admin with a different name. I re-enabled the administrator account and attempted to deleted the profile from User Profiles, the option is grayed out.
          I also tried to delete the profile folder from Docs & Settings (after saving all user data of course). Security permissions denied me from doing this. I checked, I think, every permission and I 'should' be able to do that.

Andy, yes, the Backup Exec Services are associated with this account.

Comment

I believe even services create a profile so that is why it exists and can't be deleted as it is still "in use" so to speak.
            cheers
            Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

try to take ownership on the folder.
              log on with a Domain admin user (not the one that you want to delete it's profile),
              then goto Document and settings -> Right click on the Folder representing the problematic User/Profile you wish to delete, and click properties -> security -> advance -> owner Tab - change/take ownership with the loged on User.
              then try and deleting the Profile.
              and BTW try running the Backup Exec Services with a different user as well b4 you try and deleting the profile.
              I would also suggest you Upgrading your AV 10 client to the new Endpoint Protection (v11), it has better handling features
              for Domain controllers and it might solve your problem as well.
              Last edited by Akila; 9th October 2008, 18:10.

Comment

Akila thanks for responding..
                I tried this. I not quoting, but I got an error stating that this folder could not be deleted because of system services or properties were preventing... which makes me think that Andy's solution might do the trick..
                As for Endpoint Protection... I have very little faith in that application suite. I have installed that in 4 clients and all 4 clients ask that I remove it because it was causing some many connectivity issues... the client often ballooned to well over 1Gb in size. In some instances, removing it was not easy either.

Comment

Originally posted by 1832pro View Post
                  Akila thanks for responding..
                  I tried this. I not quoting, but I got an error stating that this folder could not be deleted because of system services or properties were preventing... which makes me think that Andy's solution might do the trick..
                  As for Endpoint Protection... I have very little faith in that application suite. I have installed that in 4 clients and all 4 clients ask that I remove it because it was causing some many connectivity issues... the client often ballooned to well over 1Gb in size. In some instances, removing it was not easy either.
                  then stop the backupexec services on the server b4 you delete the folder.

Comment

Endpoint Protection has bugs in it where, the content folder grows indefinitely. The database also does the same. I had to delete an install yesterday that was 50GB in size, the only thing stopping it was the fact the drive had 0 space left. These are all fixed in MR2 although I still found the content folder was growing. MR3 seems to fix these issues.
                    Please remember to leave positive reputation points (The Ying Yang Icon) if someone helps you.

Comment

Working...
                    X