No announcement yet.

Automatic installation of default printer

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Automatic installation of default printer

I am not sure if this is quite the place to ask this question, so please move it if it belongs in a different forum.

We have several printers attached directly to our network. Because the LAN only comprises 30 clients I usually manually add printers, or staff add them. Problem with this method is that there is no print queue. So, in order to overcome this, I added the printserver role to our DC and shared the two main printers.

This is working fine, but I would like to be able to push each printer to each user automatically.

But, before I do this, I would like to know how this is going to work.

What I want to do is get a printer to install as the default printer. However, because some people change the driver settings to suit their needs - creating quicksets, etc - I don't want the driver to be re-installed the next time they log on, overwriting any changes.

So far have looked at deploying the printer via GPO using the Print Management mmc snap-in, then using a logon script to use PushPrinterConnections.exe as shown here. And I have also looked at using the printui.dll command: rundll32 printui.dll PrintUIEntry /in /n\\machine\printer /y

Will these commands reinstall the driver if it already exists or will they stop the installation if the printer is already installed? This is quite new to me so any help with this would be appreciated.

A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy