Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cannot join win2k3 domain - error - "Network Path Not Found"

Hi All,

I've found many posts on this over the internet but as yet have been unable to resolve our problem.. It's the same problem as JerryLee's here

When attempting to join a computer (in this instance a Win2k8 server) to our <domain.com> we get this error:
    "The following error occurred attempting to join the domain <domain.com>: The network path was not found"

When attempting to join our <domain> we get this error:
    "An Active Directory Domain Controller for the domain <domain> could not be contacted.
    Ensure that the domain name is typed correctly.
    If the name is correct, click Details for troubleshooting information."

Both DC's have DHCP, DNS, WINS roles and we are able to ping them by their hostname from the computer we are trying to join to the domain.

For us:
    Our Win2k3 Primary Domain Controller died and at this point we could still jion comptuers to the domain (using our backup DC = virtual machine).
    However once we built another DC with the same name as the original we could not logon if our backup VM DC was down. Nor could we join the domain via our new physical DC.

We were unable to transfer the FSMO role to our new PDC so we Seized the role back.
    We found a problem with WINS (as resolved JerryLee's problem) so have corrected this - but we still get the same errors when trying to logon.

Does anybody have any suggestions of what else we may try to correct this problem?

Re: Cannot join win2k3 domain - error - &quot;Network Path Not Found&quot;

Originally posted by norman1nz View Post
    However once we built another DC with the same name as the original
    Here's your problem.

Did you metadata cleanup the old failed DC before creating a new DC with the same name?

Comment

Originally posted by Garen View Post
      Here's your problem.

Did you metadata cleanup the old failed DC before creating a new DC with the same name?
      Yep exactly what I was thinking....

here you go you should use this TID 1st b4 adding the new domain controller.

How to remove data in Active Directory after an unsuccessful domain controller demotion
      http://support.microsoft.com/kb/216498/
      Last edited by Akila; 8th October 2008, 11:46.

Comment

Originally posted by Akila View Post
        here you go you should use this TID 1st b4 adding the new domain controller.
        Thanks for that guys.. Something so simple yet for so much time I've been hunting around for solutions and never come across that..

I tried running Procedure 1 from our backup DC and at step 5: connect to server <new PDC> - but when I get to step 15, I get the below error:
        Code:
         metadata cleanup: remove selected server
        *** Error: The connected server will not remove its own metadata.
        Does this sound familiar?
        Do I need to at step 5: connect to server <backup DC>

Comment

well i retried the metadata cleanup process again but this time connected to our backup DC.
          We got this popup warning message at step 15 saying that the DC should be already offline permanently...
          So I figured this meant we should have already run dcpromo... so went through this on our new PDC to demote it, and ran the metadata cleanup again - but now we get these errors..

Code:

LDAP error 0x20(32 (No Such Object).
          Ldap extended error message is 0000208D: NameErr: DSID-031001CD, problem 2001 (NO_OBJECT), data 0, best match of:
                  'CN=<new PDC name>,CN=Servers,CN=<location>,CN=Sites,CN=Configuration,DC=<domainname>,DC=<local>'
          Win32 error returned is 0x208d(Directory object not found.)
          )
          Unable to determine the domain hosted by the DC (5). Please use the connection menu to specify it.
          Removing FRS metadata for the selected server.
          Searching for FRS members under "CN=<new PDC name>,OU=NewComputerAccounts,DC=<domainname>,DC=<local>".
          Deleting subtree under "CN=<new PDC name>,OU=NewComputerAccounts,DC=<domainname>,DC=<local>".
          The attempt to remove the FRS settings on CN=<new PDC name>,CN=Servers,CN=<location>,CN=Sites,CN=Configuration,DC=<domainname>,DC=<local> failed because "Element not
           found.";
          metadata cleanup is continuing.
          DsRemoveDsServerW error 0x20e3(The DSA object could not be found.)
          Ohh grrr - are we back to square one again..
          I guess all we can do now is rebuild our new PDC and see how it goes and hopefully don't have to run the metadata cleanup yet again

Comment

Maybe I wasn't crossing enough fingers and toes but rebuilding the PDC again after the dcpromo didn't resolve our problem...
            So I ran the metadata cleanup without first demoting the PDC and got up to the last step 20 before receiving this message:

I'm at a loss where to go now..
            Last edited by norman1nz; 9th October 2008, 03:49.

Comment

I don't know what point you're at now. What you should have done is:

1. ditched the "new" DC on the physical server
              2. from the virtual server DC seized all the roles and metadata cleanup
              3. cleanup dns then introduce new DC

Comment

I'm also very confused about your terminology. You start the discussion with a title of "Windows Server 2003" but you keep talking about PDCs and BDCs. Is this network W2k3 or Windows NT v4.0?

Tom
                For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Originally posted by Stonelaughter View Post
                  I'm also very confused about your terminology. You start the discussion with a title of "Windows Server 2003" but you keep talking about PDCs and BDCs. Is this network W2k3 or Windows NT v4.0?
                  he means an Additional domain controller in the domain , in his eyes it is a BDC since it is for a backup purpose and the Primary DC is the one in his eyes that serves him primarily.
                  just play along with his terms that it would be easier for him to understand what we are talking about.

Comment

Ahh yes nevermind my noob terminiology use
                    I'm actually more of a developer than infrastructure guy but im learning haha - by PDC I meant the DC with FSMO roles and by BDC I meant our GC DC..
                    Feel free to correct my terms if I still haven't got them right..
                    Yes I beleive our domain is 2003 fuctional level..

ditched the "new" DC on the physical server
                    Garen - I'm not sure what you mean by this... I've tried demoting with dcpromo, and also seizing the roles without using dcpromo first...

Your other steps 2 and 3 I have tried after seizing the roles without demoting first. But after this I received the error message below (as step 20. in kb216498)

Comment

Have you now removed "ditched" the DC with the FSMO roles (PDC) from the network and then attempted to seize the roles?

Comment

Originally posted by Virtual View Post
                        Have you now removed "ditched" the DC with the FSMO roles (PDC) from the network and then attempted to seize the roles?
                        I couldn't drop it off the domain because it was FSMO DC so I seized the roles whilst it was joined to the domian.
                        Would it work if it was connected to the domain but had network cable unplugged?

Comment

Ok so we have been unable to get our domain working at all so we're restoring our GC Virtual DC from a backup and wiping our new physical FSMO DC.
                          This will bring us back to square one with only one virtual DC

If we build our new physical box up again completely from scratch can somebody please tell us where we can find a good guide to allowing it to replicate with our GC Virtual DC?

Comment

Probably too late with this response but you probably just need to use another physical server and join it to the Virtual Server Domain. The Virtual server will need to be set to the Network adapter, so it will go out on the network. Some run it as Local Only, so will only communicate with itself and other Virtual servers on the PC hosting it, which won't allow you to then join a physical PC to its domain.

Comment

Working...
                            X