Measuring the change rate of data on a file server

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Measuring the change rate of data on a file server

I have 10 Windows 2K3 servers which are domain controllers and file & print servers around the country. I've been asked to find out what the change rate of data is on each server, ie. how much data is changing in the users' files. The goal is to determine if we can replicate this data back to the head office data centre across our WAN links.

We also have Novell 4.2 servers which we are migrating off, but these servers are also acting as File & Print for the users. I have setup a mechanism to test the change rate of data on these servers by Robocopying the data to a temp location on the local Windows server at 11:59pm each night and taking copies of the resulting log file. This gives me what I need for the Novell servers.

So is there a better way to do this on the Windows servers or is the Robocopy method the only way? Are there any freeware/shareware apps that can measure this?
    |
    +-- JDMils
    |
    +-- Regional Systems Engineer, DotNet programmer & Jack of all trades
    |

Re: Measuring the change rate of data on a file server

Take an Incremental backup and see how big it is?

Comment

If I remember rightly, FSRM in Windows Server 2003 R2 gives a set of file server monitoring functions which include capacity planning tools such as the one you describe - rate of change of storage requirement is, I think you'll agree, a fairly important statistic!

Tom
      For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Thanks Tom,

Where do I find the FSRM tools in R2? I've checked a number of my R2 file & print servers and can not find them. Thanks.
        |
        +-- JDMils
        |
        |

Comment

Don't worry, I found the answer. I had to upgrade the server role to get the new shortcuts in the Administrative Tools folder. Thanks.
          |
          +-- JDMils
          |
          |

Comment

Woha! Looks too complicated to use FRSM. Might have to look into another method.... :
            |
            +-- JDMils
            |
            |

Comment

Supposedly WinDiff can comapre folders as well as files. I've never tried it but it might be worth a look seeing as it's free.

Comment

Originally posted by JDMils View Post
                Woha! Looks too complicated to use FRSM. Might have to look into another method.... :
                Too complicated? I don't understand... I thought you were being paid for this?

Tom
                For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Tom, I tried it and it warned me that it was only going to show me the first 10,000 records because of an inbuilt record limit. I need the info by Monday and can't afford to spend time learning something new just now, but thanks for your help!
                  |
                  +-- JDMils
                  |
                  |

Comment

Originally posted by JDMils View Post
                    Tom, I tried it and it warned me that it was only going to show me the first 10,000 records because of an inbuilt record limit. I need the info by Monday and can't afford to spend time learning something new just now, but thanks for your help!
                    Surely your deadline has passed, but this was intriguing problem from me to chew on. So what I did was mount the windows file system as a data source in Crystal Reports, then graphed the cumulative total vs. date. The result (quick and dirty!!) is attached. One day I may clean it up, but the concept works.
                    Attached Files
                    "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said” - Alan Greenspan

Comment

Now that is COOL!
                      Want to tell us more about how you mounted the FS and queried it?
                      I thought I knew CR but I had no idea this was possible
                      Tom Jones
                      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                      IT Trainer / Consultant
                      Ossian Ltd
                      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

NTFS is just a database of files, so Crystal reports has a data connection to it. Go to setup a new connection and you should find it, if not you may have to add it from the CD as a new connection type.
                        As far as I remember it was available since v8.5
                        I have to check if mapped drives will work too.....that could be interesting.
                        "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said” - Alan Greenspan

Comment

Working...
                        X