Forcing Replication

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forcing Replication

Why would you want to force replication? Isn't it best to wait the 15 minutes? We have a new admin who is forcing replication whenever he updates a user account and despite the arugument of "bandwidth", he says the pipes are large enough to handle it. Regardless, I don't think it's wise to keep forcing replication but I can't seem to find an article that says "don't unles X, Y, or Z".

Another question...for two sites that are physically in the same location but in separate sites, is it wise to change the 15 minute to 5?

Thoughts?

TIA.
    Last edited by cmj0002; 3rd October 2008, 16:55.

Re: Forcing Replication

I had some replication problems a few months back and in order to test the fix, we had to force replication on severs in our AD.

As for the bandwidth arguement, it all depends on the size of your AD enviroment and your WAN structure.

Local replication you will probably not see a huge difference in bandwidth. WAN links you might see a difference depending on how big your AD is.

It's probably not necessary to replicate new users right away though.
    Last edited by boondock; 3rd October 2008, 17:03.
    MCITP:SA, MCSA 2003, MCP, CCNA, A+, Net+, Security+

Comment

A user account will always be available to log into, even if your local DC doesn't have it through replication. The logon attempt goes to the local DC first, and if the local DC doesn't know about the account, the request is passed to the PDC Emulator; which DOES know about it.

Personally I'm a BIG, BIG fan of letting the infrastructure do it's thang the way it's designed to - AUTOMATICALLY. If you change the configuration of the replication system you have no idea what the total effect will be; so best to leave it alone and ensure that Microsoft will support you when the need arises.

With that in mind, I would not be forcing a replication unless there was a pressing need, like in boondock's example. While you wait the 15 minutes, do some other work.

Tom
      For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Originally posted by cmj0002 View Post
        Why would you want to force replication? Isn't it best to wait the 15 minutes? We have a new admin who is forcing replication whenever he updates a user account and despite the arugument of "bandwidth", he says the pipes are large enough to handle it. Regardless, I don't think it's wise to keep forcing replication but I can't seem to find an article that says "don't unles X, Y, or Z".
        Don't worry about it. Unless you have a massive AD hes only replicating what's changed and thats not going to be much.

Another question...for two sites that are physically in the same location but in separate sites, is it wise to change the 15 minute to 5?
        How will it benefit you? If you need changes to take effect asap then yes, if not then no.
        Last edited by Garen; 3rd October 2008, 18:28.

Comment

Originally posted by Stonelaughter View Post
          A user account will always be available to log into, even if your local DC doesn't have it through replication. The logon attempt goes to the local DC first, and if the local DC doesn't know about the account, the request is passed to the PDC Emulator; which DOES know about it.
          This only works for passwords. If the account doesn't exist on a local DC it will not forward the request to the PDC Emulator.

Comment

Thank you all--is there an event id that I can track to see how often this is being forced? I suspect it is more than the once a day but haven't got him in the act of doing it.
            Last edited by cmj0002; 3rd October 2008, 19:03.

Comment

Thank you all--is there an event id that I can track to see how often this is being forced? I suspect it is more than the once a day but haven't got him in the act of doing it.
              Honestly, it's just something I don't like doing - it's not likely to cause any damage. I wouldn't worry about it. If it comes up in conversation one day tell him you don't like it; but I don't think there's anything to worry about.

Tom
              For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

what you need to ask that guy (New Admin) you were referring to , how is it being forced?
                is it being forced manually every few min' he forces the replication or it is done by canceling the Schedule replication , otherwise knows as "Change notification" settings.
                In general , there is no Wrong or right what method you approach, it all depends on how fast you want changes to reach the other site.
                I personally added "Change Notification" between our HUB sites (and we have 20,000 Users,etc) and it has zero impact on our WAN, but that is something you need to test for yourself.
                Last edited by Akila; 5th October 2008, 17:03.

Comment

Working...
                X